Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma KMZ 250 & Lifan LX-250 Reviews

Old 07-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma KMZ 250 & Lifan LX-250 Reviews

Hi all,

This forum has been a great resource for finding out the good & bad on the Chinese made ATV's.

Thought I would repay the time spend here by others & start a review thread on two ATV's which I bought recently and just had a chance to really ride off-road for the first time last weekend.

I own one Kazuma KMZ-250 & one Lifan LX-250. I bought both from Raceway ATV and they arrived in less than the 10 days they stated for delivery. John at Raceway has provided excellent, excellent customer service so far. My prep on the ATV's was to change all fluids, loctite everything and tape up all connectors to prevent water damage and/or disconnections. This takes a while, but was well worth it. Not one of the bolts that I did this to ever did loosen up. A few that I passed up did loosen, but I re-tightened & all was ok.

So, for the review on each machine...

KMZ-250

Size is a little small for a 6ft adult, but not too bad.
After breaking the motor in, the Kazuma seemed to be faster and ran smoother.
Even at the stiffest setting, the shocks bottom out on any big hits.
The Kazuma is very, very tippy. Looking into wheel spacers to help with this.
Required very few adjustments. It starts & runs great right out of the crate.
Climbs most steep inclines good.
Develops many rattles, haven't determined where they are yet.
Top speed seems to be close to 40mph.

LX-250

Size is good for a 6ft adult.
Like the Kazuma, got faster as we put more hours on it.
Gearing is lame. 1st is only good for steep climbs. All others are too tall and make you work to get in the powerband.
Shifter is very tough to get used to. Does not shift clean & is hard to get neutral sometimes.
Carbs required little tuning. Ran good out of the box.
Better suspension than the Kazuma. Not as much travel it seems, but it never felt like it was bottoming out.
Reverse keeps coming out of adjustment. Made it very difficult when this happens out on the trail (thing is heavy to push).
A little scarry at high speeds. It will do over 40mph.

I still need to go back over the ATV's after our last ride and see if anything is broken or needs warranty claim, but they were running ok up until we loaded them back on the trailer. For the price I paid, I was expecting at least one of them to give us some kind of electrical or motor problem, but they performed flawlessly so far. Price was a big concern for us. We could buy two machines for what we could only afford one entry-level "big four" ATV. No doubt, one of those ATV's would ride better, have more power & hold up better in the long run, but how much fun is it to always ride solo? These ATV's have met or exceeded our expectations so far. The biggest concern I have is parts availability, especially on the Lifan.

Just my .02 cents. Hope it helps others who either have one or are looking to buy.

C