ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Eton TXL 90 Runs fine, then just dies! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/215048-eton-txl-90-runs-fine-then-just-dies.html)

Raptorlegs 09-02-2005 07:28 PM

Eton TXL 90 Runs fine, then just dies!

My understanding is that you cannot manually disengage this particular choke. Unplugging it will cause it to stay engaged.

mywifesquad 09-02-2005 08:07 PM

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
My understanding is that you cannot manually disengage this particular choke. Unplugging it will cause it to stay engaged.
OK. then maybe he could run a hot wire to it to turn it off. Im not sure, never had a problem with the one on my wifes Yamoto.

jdean28 09-07-2005 10:10 AM

Well, looks like I don't have a spark arrestor after all. There are no screws anywhere on the back of the tailpipe. I think maybe only the newer model Etons have them.

I have a stoopid question. I was just looking through the owners manual, and it says that they recommend running at least 91 octane gas. I've never noticed that before, and I have been running regular 87 octane in it. I haven't noticed any pinging/knocking at all, but could that possibly cause this stalling problem?

BTW, it has been running fine for the last two weeks (knock on wood). Go figure. I look for it to start stalling again any day now.

grouperbob 09-13-2005 10:49 PM

I just wrote a 500 word senario about a Eton 90 that came in with exact symptoms. But my 12yr old son wanted to show me how pressing F5 would initiate spell check. When he pressed F5 my reply dissapeared. So here is the short of it. We replaced the carb and that fixed it.

jdean28 09-19-2005 05:02 PM

Update: The thing stalled again twice this weekend. It is acting different now, not doing the same thing as before. Now, when it stalls, it will always fire right back up, but it idles REALLY high (like the choke is engaged). If you give it any throttle at all, it stalls and dies. You can crank it right back up, idles high again, give it gas, dies again. Get mad and kick the tires and walk off for about 5-10 minutes, go back and crank it again, runs like a top, like nothing ever happened. In my uneducated opinion, I think the choke is sticking. What do you guys think?

BTW, thanks so much to everyone for their responses so far. You guys are about my only resource to try and pinpoint this problem. I can't find ANYONE around here that seems to want to work on this Eton. Even the dealer 60 miles away didn't seem to have an idea of what the problem might be, and I'm not paying them $60 an hour to fiddle around with it all day until they find something.

LT80 09-19-2005 08:00 PM

I been watching this thread. My first thought was a simple carb cleaning, but seen it had been cleaned.
Everything points toward the carb as I see it.
I've had carbs get micro-particals in them and indeed have to get another carb. Little carbs~~little holes, it don't take much crud to raise havoc permantly. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Welcome to the ATV Connection forums grouperbob! I'm with you on this one.
It sure would be nice to find someone with the same/similiar machine that you could borrow the carb off of to test.

grouperbob 09-27-2005 11:29 PM

ok, i was pretty mad after my son erased my lengthy response to your delema. here is the long of it. the exact atv u have came in to my garage(a mechanic friend and i repair atvs on the side) with the exact symtoms. tank was removed and cleaned and fuel valve blown out. carb was acid bathed. my son rode it around for an hour with no problems so customer picked it up. the atv was back a week later. same problem. this time when mechanic went to acid bath the carb he said the copper fuel pickup tube for the automatic choke broke off in his hand. we tried to repair but failed. no way to replace tube. well, i have a Alpha
sports 50 so i took carb off of it(yes its exactly the same) and used it on the Eton 90. the atv has been running perfectly ever since. its been months now and i speak to the owner all the time. was it the pick up tube all along or something else in the carb i dont know. a new carb for my Alpha was $200. glad i waited to buy because i found a whole Eton 90 for $250. REPLACE THAT CARB!

jdean28 09-28-2005 09:17 AM

Well, I may be in luck. My dad has ran across a whole Eton 90 for $40 that he bought for parts. (I don't know how he does it, but he always seeems to find deals like this!) I'm gonna try to get over there this weekend and swap the carbs and see what happens. I'll let you guys know what happens. Again, thanks for all the responses!

jdean28 10-21-2005 11:06 AM

Well, the carb on the parts bike was in a lot worse shape than mine, so I decided to just take mine apart again and give it a good cleaning. Also noticed something with the automatic choke. It has a cover over it, and the cover was loose. I took the cover off, and found that the body of the choke has threads on it and it screws together. It was very loose, just barely on the threads. I tightened it up and put some loctite on it. This was almost a month ago, and she's running fine ever since.

After the first time we cleaned the carb, it ran fine for about 2 weeks, then started acting up again. I figure maybe we knocked something loose around in there the first time, and it eventually found it's way into one of the jets. Or, maybe it was the choke all along. Who knows, at least it's running great now!

RoadWarriorz 08-21-2006 02:49 PM

Interesting thread. I have a 2000 Eton 50cc. It runs for about 15 seconds and then dies. It also acts like it is running out of gas. I flushed the tank, replaced all fule lines, cleaned the petcock, disassmbled the carb and cleaned-out real good. I put everything back together and it does the same thing. RRuns for about 15 -30 seconds and bogs then dies. If you wait 5 minutes it starts up again and does the same thing. When I went through the carberator I noticed the cover on the choke was loose. How do you remove the cove to inspect the choke? You mentioned you had to screw the choke body down tight and that fixed the problem?

Thanks