Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

DS90 2 Stroke wont start/run

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS90 2 Stroke wont start/run

Anyone have any tips for a 2004 DS90 2stroke that wont start or run. It had intermittent starting problems.....and it got worse. Now I cant seem to get it to do anything. It fires, runs for about 2 to 5 seconds, then dies. I'm at my whits end with this thing. Here is what I've done so far....

Drain and clean the gas tank. Make sure to use fresh gas. Clean fuel valve. New in-line fuel filter. Remove, dissassemble, and clean carb. (remove all jets, choke/solenoid, clean and blow clean all passages) New spark plug. Clean air filter. Check spark. Spark appears strong. Check entire electrical harness and all connections. Make sure all clean and well connected. Remove fan cover and check oil line and vacuum. Check oil line and inline filter. All appear ok. Check stator and electrical harness thru boot/case. Appears ok. Air/fuel screw is out 1 1/2 turns.

Dealer is "guessing" its a carb problem. If so, I dont know how/what I'm missing. Said the Mikuni Jet100 carbs have been a problem. Is there a better option.

If anyone has some tips/advice I'd really appreciate it. My kids keep looking at me to fix it.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here is something you may want to try...........Ohm out the wires for the Mag..........when they Ohm out; wiggle the wires where they go through the case.. I have have fixed quite a few bikes where the wires were shot right where they go in the case...and it always starter out as a "on-and-off problem"

Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever fix the problem. I have two. if they sit for more than a wk or two. it takes hrs to start. once started. you cant touch other than to start again and again until warmed up. once going, everything is just fine. REALLY getting on my nerves

Old 01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know exactly what you mean. It drove me crazy too and the kids kept asking over and over about them.

Yes, I am happy to report I did fix them. Long story short: I disconnected the oil injection line (cut and plug the hose) and run it pre-mixed at 32 to 1. Sometimes I'll run 'em at 40 to 1. Now they run great. Always start. Run strong all day long.

Only thing I can conclude is the oil ratio from the factory was just flooding it with oil. I've had other people tell me they took off the injection (on Blasters too) and that did the trick. Appears to have worked here too.

Give it a try and let me know.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi there i have alot of trouble with the 2004 ds 90 i have any tips for me to try??

Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Biggest improvement for me was to premix the gas and oil. Run the mix at 32:1 or 40:1. The factory oil injection was injecting too much oil and it had problems running. I removed the oil tank and plugged the line. They run great now. What problems are you having and what have you tried?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had a simular problem,, took it to dealer and they could'nt figure it out. Someone finally came up with the idea of enlargening air fuel port in carb and also enlargen jet.. Works fine now... Only beef is, ard to start still if machine sits for longer than a week....

Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having a similar problem. My machine was running consistently but had some intermittent power problems when you were at mid range. I decided to buy a new carb off Amazon for $36 CAD. I installed the carb and it ran for 10 seconds and died. When I run it without a slide in the carb the throttle is on full blast and it's a rocket ship! Lesson learned about lifting the rear wheels lol. Based on this, what do you think the issue is? Is it flooding or saving of fuel?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Please start a new thread for more responses.