Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

California Registration for kid's knock-off (SUNL) quad.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Registration for kid's knock-off (SUNL) quad.

Other than a bill of sale, what forms from the California DMV will I need to get my bike stickered. There was no official paperwork that came with the bike other than the owners manual that has limited informationn. So I basically have a bike with no title (but a VIN clearly located on the fork) Also, it is a SUNL 95cc and the 8th digit is an "A". Does this mean that it will get a green sticker? Thanks, Brendan

Old 12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
MrD
Trailblazer

I may be wrong but I don't believe that the SunL is registerable in CA, you likely won't get either a Green or even a Red sticker with it. Do a google search for a VIN decoder and you'll likely see that the VIN isn't even recognizable, just something the manufacturer made up. California is incredibly strict on this type of thing, overly so, but good luck. I hope I'm wrong for your sake...

Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a form at the DMV that you can pick up. Fill it out and take your quad to your local Highway Patrol office for inspection. I have been told that if the inspection is done at the Highway Patrol your chances of getting a green sticker go up. Don't know why but that is what some dealers have told me. We took our quad to the DMV. The quad we bought had been CARB certified. You will need the certificate of origin, bill of sale, CARB sticker, and know where your VIN Number and Engine number are located on quad. Make it as easy as possible for whoever inspects the quad. Now again a lot of quads and pit bikes are begin issued green stickers because they do not have the "C" or "3 " in the eighth position in their VIN numbers, and they are slipping by. There are even people here in these forums that have been issued green stickers even though they did not meet all the criteria. Regardless of how you do this the quad still has to be inspected by the DMV or Highway Patrol if you want it registered.

Here is a link for the form.
I think this is the right one.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

Old 12-18-2005, 08:25 PM
MrD
Trailblazer

According to Raceway the SunL's are not registerable in CA and they do not sell them to buyers from CA. Here's where they responded to this same question when I was doing my research 2 months ago.Link I'd assume the problem is that they are not CARB certified, raceway was very up front and honest about the issue.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

That is the part I don't understand because they are all made the same. You mean to tell me tha the 2005 cr250 two stroke is CARB approved and easier on the environment as far as smog is concernce? This is what I don't get.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a SUNL 70 knowing very well that it was not able to be registered in California. I honestly don't really care, I've never had a issue riding anywhere in Cali that I've been hassled about 'kids' quads. If they look stock for the most part they don't really care. I also know that more than likely within a year or so all the SUNL knock offs will be able to get at least Red Stickered. When a new maker/quad comes out sometimes it takes a while before the company in questioned works with the DMV to get their quads approved. No worries..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is some info on what your looking for.

Consumer Information: OHRV Registration Sticker

You can also run your VIN number at this site.

Vehicle Identification Number

I ran my VIN and most of it checked out, some info was incomplete but my number was not made up.

Now I think some of the older Chinese Quads did have made up numbers.

Run yours to see what you get.

Also if you have most of the paper work I listed, go down to your Local DMV and try to register it and let people know how your adventure turns out.

Good luck and I hope you get it registered. Better registered than having to pay a fine.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 AM
MrD
Trailblazer

The '05 CR250 will be issued a Red Sticker due to being a 2-stroke. The reason it's CARB approved is because Honda got it certified, many of the smaller Chinese manufacturers don't bother with the process.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

I ran the VIN and most of it did check out. I will go down to the DMV and see what happens. I would love to go camping with Airborne1 because we must be twins separated at birth. Same thought process here.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

You know what they say? Great Minds think alike [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I just can't wait to see the look on my daughters face when I hook her up with a "Pink" quad. Priceless.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Registration for kid's knock-off (SUNL) quad.