Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja Motorsports 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Baja Motorsports 90cc

RichSmith,

You should not have to take it to get serviced. You can do the adjustments yourself. Did you change the oil when you bought it? Here are some steps for the carb on these. You must let it sit at idle once running for a bit to make sure the gelpac in the carb floatbowl dissolves. Do not drive until all the adjustments are made and you let it idle for at least 30min. If you do not do this it will clog the jets and it will make it very difficult to tune until all the gel is dissolved.

The mixture screw(pilot screw)had been set-up at the
factory before shipment and should not have to be reset. If necessary, refer to the adjustment as below:

1. Make sure the air cleaner is clean.
2. make sure the choke lever is OFF while running.
3. Warm the engine up for 3-5 minutes.
4. Turn the mixture screw clockwise until fully closed,
then turn the mixture screw 2 full turns out.
5. Adjust the idling screw until the engine idles EASILY.
6. Turn the mixture screw slightly clockwise and
counterclockwise until the highest engine REVs obtained.
7. Adjust the idling screw again until the engine idles
EASILY.
8. Repeat the step of 6 & 7 till getting the best
performance...
*ENGINE IDLES EASILY means:
The engine idling screw must be set correctly to get a
slowest engine idle(1500 rpm - 1600 rpm), but does not
cut out if you press the accelerator quickly.

These are very hard to start and keep running when new but once tuned they run great. You have to make sure you changed the oil in it before you ride. If you have not driven it yet let it sit at idle for about 30-45min after the initial adjustments then let it cool. You may or may not need to make more minor adjustments once started again. The choke is very sensitive. Move it all the way up while starting then turn it over and slowly move it down till it starts. Once running move the choke till you get the highest idle then let run till warm and turn the choke off. Most of the time the choke will not work correctly on the notches set on the lever but will work inbetween the notches.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff above......well to my surprise my bike fire right up with my old cheap battery....do you think 60 degree weather had anything to do with it.....ha.....learn something new today....my current battery is way too weak to start my bike on a cold day.....I'm still gonna get a better battery for those cold days.......but its good to know my old battery is just fine on warm days.....the bike fire up and once warm which took no time......it ran great as usual..........heck I've charge that battery anuff......well it was a nice day riding with all 3 bikes.....I know now it takes a really hot and juiced battery to start in my cold garage.......wonder if a small engine block heater would help ?!? or maybe just a small heater on it for 30 mins or so......?!?!.....uuumm

Old 01-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi purchased the baja 90cc from pepboys.. The lights are broken on the front, does anyone know where to order new lights?

Old 01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hello all -

I just got back from the dunes in Yuma and had nothing but problems with my son's Baja 90. We followed the burn-in rules, but blew 3 fuses and had the quad quit mulitple times. I'm so glad I had my golf cart or my son and I would've been been stuck many times far away from camp! There was also a terrible smell, like something was burning badly and the rear plastic fenders are way too flimsy!

NOw with that said, I know there are a ton of you out there that have nothing but good things to say about this quad (one of the reasons I bought it), but I spend most of my weekend trying to keep my son on the bike and assisting him with trying to get it started after it would just quit in the middle of for no reason. By the way, it appears this engine burns very hot.

Thanks for listening and If anyone has any input I would be glad to hear!

Thanks again,
Ben

Old 01-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bjamin,

Did you change the oil yet? If so what weight did you put in?

Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

No not yet, but I would put in what the manual says, which I beleive is 10w30.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bjamin18,

If you have not changed the oil this is a major factor in your overheating problem. These come with a shipping oil and should not be run for a long period. It is very thin and can not disperse heat. If you are in the dunes or the temps are hot I would use a 20w50 synthetic and in colder temps a 10w30 synthetic. Change the oil ASAP!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

First, why would they use "shipping oil" instead of the weight listed in the manual? Second, why would the fuse continue to blow (4x in a few days)?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure why they use cheap oil but they do. Maybe since they make these in such mass quantities the cheap oil saves a few bucks. As for the fuse I am not sure. I know the bajas are known to have some minor wiring issues. Maybe the cdi is overheating. What amp fuse are you using? How long does it take to blow? Once replaced will it start right up? A fuse blows because there is too much current being drawn in that circuit or a hot wire is grounding out somewhere. I would check all the wires to see if there is any rubbing and shorting out. Check all your connectors.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

2ManyToys,

Thanks for the advice. I fiddled with the carb idle adjustment screw. Ended up turning it 1/4 turn clockwise and that raised the idle speed up enough to keep it running. It would not run more than 15 seconds before without dying. Let it idle for 1/2 hour to burn out the gel stuff in carb. Runs smooth now. Will change oil. Should have a happy kid today!

Thanks
Rich in Indiana

Quick Reply: Baja Motorsports 90cc