Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma 90 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma 90 problems

Battling two issues with my daughters mini falcon 90.
#1. Lack of power taking off on an incline or pulling up out of a small ditch or rut. I made some trails for us along the creek by our house that are mostly flat so she can get acquinted with riding. She is getting stuck if she stops in the bottom of a ditch we have to cross. This ditch is less than a foot deep with a gentle slope into and out. As long as she keeps moving it is fine. This should not be difficult for this quad I think. She is 48 inches tall and weighs 50 pounds. It just does not want to get itself moving. Seems to rev to the point where it should begin to move and just sits there. Sounds like something is holding it back, or it is not revving high enough. Called Raceway atv where I boughtit from and tech guy suggested it was geared to high internally and I needed to buy larger rear sprocket. John was not available that day. Does this sound right? Pretty sad when this thing can't pull my daughter up the smallest of inclines from a dead stop without help. It runs great otherwise and has plenty of power. Heck, it pulls me around our yard and I weigh 230 pounds.
#2.Sparkknock after hot. After about a half an hour ride it began to spark knock as you would jump on the throttle and smelled hot. Idles fine and runs ok. Noticed today that the drain tube for the carb was laying against the cooling fins for the cylinder and had melted a hole in it.

Anyone know what the plug gap should be? Want to check it but I have no manual. Was not shipped with one and am waiting for it to be delivered.

Any input on either problem appreciated. Think I will try to get ahold of John tomorrow.Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey, we just bought a mini falcon 90 from Kazuma, I have the manual, for this one the plug gap should be 0.6-0.7mm (0.024-0.028in). My son had his for less than 2 wks, and we have already replaced the cylinder head, and now with the new one, it does okay for about 10 min, then it rattles. we readjust the valves, and it quits rattling, and does fine for about 10 min. so it is parked once again. We also bought a merkat 50, and so far it has been pretty good with no probs. yet. Having any other trouble? If you need to know anything out of the manual, I will be more than glad to help.
Amy
Good Luck

Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

sweetypie25276,

Your problem with the head going could be that there is a break in period of about 10 hours, this is what my dealer has told me to pass on to my customers.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you both. Installed a new NGK plug as suggested by John at Raceway. Got the gap spec when I picked up the plug. Highly suggest anyone with a Chinese built quad do this. Costs only a few bucks. Starts cold considerably better. Have not had a chance to ride since the plug replacement to see if it has helped anything else yet. working on finding or getting a smaller front sprocket. Will post update when I have more info. Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

go to a honda dealer denniskirk.com or anykind of dirtbike website and look under crf or xr70 front sprocket should be an exact match the motors are honda clones

Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 PM

if the front sprocket is more and a 12 tooth than take it out and put a 12 tooth for the kmx 50cc kazuma in its place you will see a big differents

Old 02-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

i've had no problems with power just gearing it reved out to fast
so i drilled a few 1/4" holes in the air box cause you can always seal them back up. i drilled through the baffles of the exhaust with a 5/8" drill bit i had to buy one 8" long.
then i took the main jet and a torch tip cleaner and just barely reamed it out. when i say barely i mean i found the same size
and filed about three times.
the power picked up tremendously
the front sprocket is a 12th so i took it to a honda dealer
and found a 14th part #( 23800-040-010) the original chain is an odd size i thought it was a 420 but it wouldn't fit the new 420 sprocket. i had an old kasea 90(the old ugly ones) i took the chain off it and it fit the new front and old rear.
it will now do a high speed drift with a little body action from
my 48lb daughter.
i got a 15 th on the way . i'll keep you posted

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Finally got some shocks coming for my sons Kazuma 90. It took quite awhile to find anything that was reasonably priced, that I would also think would work. I will keep everyone posted as soon as they get here and let you know how they perform.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

What kind of shocks did you get drueandtylersdad? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Also, do you know of an aftermarket airfilter that would work for the 90?

Old 03-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put a UNI filter on my son's, I bought the UNI for a 110 (has Inside Diameter of 1.5") prob should have bought one with ID of 1.25". I just cut the end off the stock hose (the end thats on the carb inlet) and it fit right into the 1.5" ID UNI. I run NoToil oil in my Yamaha, so I just oiled up the UNI with that. Put a NGK plug in and adjusted the carb as is states in the manual and this thing will do donuts with my fat **** on it! It sounds great with the UNI on BTW....

Quick Reply: Kazuma 90 problems