Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SUNL mini delux review! May be the best Chinese Mini.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SUNL mini delux review! May be the best Chinese Mini.

I just got the new SUNL mini delux 100 to see what they are like. I ordered it on Thursday the 23'rd and got it on Tuesday the 28'th from Raceway . I opened the crate and nothing was damaged or broken. It took about 20min to put it together. (Yes 20min!) It was about 90% put together from the factory. The only thing you had to do is mount the tires, front bumper, and 1 wire to the battery. Once I got it together I went over the whole quad to check nuts and bolts. To my surprise everything was tight and all the nuts and bolts were of good quality. This is a nice looking machine. It has dual front a arms, front and rear adjustable shocks, rear disk brake, rear LED light , 2 front lights, clamp on filter, speedometer, and the suspension is softer than most but still a little on the stiff side. It does have some travel though. I put gas in the tank and checked all the fluids. They are now shipping them with 15w40 oil. The drain plug and fill are very easy to get to. It took about 5 sec to start but once it started it stayed running. It purred! I did a small adjustment to the idle and air screw and it was all set to go. I hopped on it to take it for a short spin and HOLY CRAP this thing moves. I am 6'1 225 lbs and thing just plain rips. It has TONS of power off idle all the way up and pulled me around without a struggle. I got it up to about 35mph and it still wanted to go more. It is fully automatic and has tons of bottom end power to climb just about anything. I went back to the garage to look over at how it is built and put together. All I can say is this may be the best built chinese mini quad at 110cc. All the welds are good, the frame looks strong and looks like they took some time designing it. Everything on it looks like good quality parts from the front spindles back to the rear swingarm. It starts up first time everytime, sounds good, runs very strong and is a nice ride. There is no play anywhere in the steering or suspension. Everything is nice and solid. The only thing it still needs are wheel spacers to space it wider but even in stock form it does not feel tippy like alot of others. I have spacers on the way. I will post pics with my 8yo on it to get a size comparison. He has room to grow. I would highly recommend one of these. It is not junk nor does it feel like junk. It feels like a good quality quad.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I told my son to beat the crap out of it and not to worry if it breaks. I want to see how reliable it is. He will put it through the paces. I will post good or bad.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 95 auto, and I ride my son's all the time, even though I'm 220 lbs. Its actually fun to ride this one around the neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

i both 1 about a month ago and it ran 4 about 15min and it stalled and would not start. i took it back where i bought it from and he gave me another 1. i got it home ran it for about a half hour then put it up. the next day i went 2 start it, the thing started then stalled, i had the throttle restricter set so i couldn't throttle it up. back the restricter off. tried to start just crank until the batt died. took it bac got money back and bought a eton 90. 2manytoys what u think the problem was.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

2manytoys try cold starting it with the restricter set. after about 3 attemps it wont try 2 start then bac it off and c if u can get it started, let me no.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds to me you had a gas problem, have 1 myself the fuel was going to the filter but did not go thru the filter for some reason, took the line off and reconnnected it, after that it worked fine.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ddddub,

Not sure what the problem could be. My son drove the crap out of it today for about 7hrs. It ran like a raped ape. This thing is super fast. It did stall about 3 times because of the rear tether. For some reason it would not stay together so I took it off and wired it together. He was doing jumps and everything he could to break it with the exception of wrecking it. He was hard on it all day. The kid is pooped. He said he never rode so hard. It ran great. The only issue that I have with it is it needs wheel spacers just like most minis do. He loves this one compaired to his 90cc 2 stroke yerf dog, Yamoto 110 and my neighbors extreme90, trx 90 and lt80. It had enough power he would come to a corner, hit the throttle and the back tires would cut loose and he could slide around the corner. With about 6 kids riding in the field today he was the fastest. He had a smile from ear to ear.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2manytoys,

Good post on your first ride with the SunL. It's good to hear that the quad made it through it's first ride with no problems. How about posting some pics and some video of the quad in action. I have decided to purchase the new Jetmoto 150 for my daughter. So tomorrow my son and I are going to take the video camera with us to Gorman and put my daughters quad through some torture tests. We are going to see what it can handle. Anyways good luck with the new test quad.

One more thing are you thinking or have in the works any modifications for the SunL other than the wheel spacers?

SB

Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

smb05,

This was the second day of the torture test for the Sunl. I had a few small issues but overall I am very impressed. The exhaust manifold studs broke so I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and lock washers, the tether switch would shut the motor down at random so I removed it, the front bumper plastic fell off. I put it back on with bigger washers. I have 1 tire that wont seat the bead unless it is at 20psi. It still leaks slowly and I have a new tire and wheel on the way. I cant believe how fast this thing is. The tranny works awsome, the motor has tons of power and it runs great. I have spacers on the way and I think this will make the front suspension work alot better. It does have some travel in the front but could be a little better. It is alot better than most I have seen. I hear the JetMoto 150 is a tough quad. Keep us posted. . I will get some pics up but not sure how to post video. My son has beat the crap out of this thing and would be great to have some video to show what he has put it through. So far so good!

Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2manytoys,

The family and I went out to Gorman today and put our 150 through some tests. It did not fair very well. We didn't even put it through a whole heck of a lot of torture. Mainly took it over some small whoops, did some jumps and spun it around the campsite a couple of times. It did all right until my son took it on a trail, took a turn and the quad threw the chain. Went out and repaired it, ran it about 15 feet and it threw out again. Finally got the repair to take and got it back to camp. I still have to spend some time with it and see if I can repair it. I only was able to do field work out at Gorman and get it back to the campsite. I have also come to the conclusion that my dislike of the rear-end design is valid. After looking over the quad, I found that when the chain came off, it proceeded to chew up my brake caliper. From what I can tell, the JetMoto rear-end is the same, this leaves me feeling gun shy in purchasing one now.

Anyways, I have to say it really changed my mind on these Chinese quads. I really don't think I will be buying another one. It was a bummer to have a simple thing go out while doing a decent ride. Didn't even take it out far or for a hard ride like we would do with our bikes. After today's results, I will probably go with a name brand quad or my daughter is trying to decide if she wants to go back to her TTR90. We did however, watch and film many "little guys" ride smaller Chinese quads and they did great. The quads are definitely made only for the little guy who rides around in circles near the campsite. From what I can see, these quads are only good for campsite riding or backyard riding. They are definitely not made for moderate to hard trail riding.

I will have pictures and video in the next couple of days. Had a lot of fun filming the before and after riding the quad.

SB