Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kids Christmas quad recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids Christmas quad recommendations?

Greetings from a new member,

I've read about every page of the kids quad forum and i have seen this question asked before but the models/quality seems to change often. I'm looking for two inexpensive quads for a couple of bigger 50lb five year olds to get from Santa to ride on our 10 hilly acres. I've been reading and researching the Chinese quads and I'm looking for any recomendations from people that have purchased them lately. A number of the brands/models I'm looking at I see listed in some of the forum members signature lines so I was hoping I would get their opinions/experience on the units. I have no problems with the mechanical maintenance for the Chinese quads but still like a quality/safe product. I've looked into buying the more expensive Unison, Kymco, Kasea line of quads but just can't justify spending that kind of cash along with the required helmets/safety gear until I've found the kids will enjoy riding. Here's some of the models I'm considering:

Hensim 50/70 ($600 delivered)

Jetmoto 90 ($800 delivered) front drum/rear disk brakes, Centrifigal clutch auto

BTM Minimite 50 ($750 delivered) Rear disk, single speed/neutral, Zongshen engine?, can be push started.

BMX 70 Power Wheel edition ($700 delivered) Rear Disk, Bigger tires, Centrifigal clutch auto

Redcat MPX 90 ($800 delivered) front drum/rear disk brakes, Centrifigal clutch auto

Kazuma Mini Falcon Deluxe ($780) front and rear disk brakes, Centrifigal clutch auto

Jackal?

I heard that with the centrifigal clutch autos the 50cc's are underpowered and to get a 70/90cc if its an auto. I like the idea of a semi-auto and the ability to just leave it in first gear with all of the climbing power but no speed. I'm not sure if front and rear brakes make much of a difference in a quad of this size. I do like the idea of a foot and hand brake together. Some have single A-arm front suspension and some have Dual-A-arm, how much does this affect the handling? The Minimite seems unique but I think it may be to small. I've heard Jetmoto is really improving their product and their parts/warranty support has been good. Any input would be appreciated.

PS- Four things I've learned from the forums regarding Chinese Quads.
1. Change the Oil as soon as you get it.
2. Red Loctite where needed and check every fastener before riding.
3. Replace that cheap sparkplug.
4. Do not use premium fuel.

Thank You,

1wheeler1

Old 11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

if you decide on a chinese atv, buy from raceway atv or don't buy one.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums 1wheeler1.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Raceway is a very good choice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

1wheeler,

For a 5yo the mini falcon delux is an excellent quad. One of th ebetter chinese minis out. Youi cant go wrong with Jetmoto either. Jackal is also good because they change alot of the most common failure parts with quality Taiwan parts. If you do but go with Raceway and this will take care of alot of worries you will have with parts and help. The Unison desertcat 50 cc is and awsome quad. If you can swing that then go for it if not the falcon or JetMoto is the next best choice. The problems with the centrifugal clutches have pretty much been taken care of. Most have plenty of power to get up some pretty steep hills.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the support Bill, I see you supporting us a lot and we really do appreciate all you say about us! Thanks again. (and to all!)

Raceway ATV

Old 11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: RacewayATV
Thanks for the support Bill, I see you supporting us a lot and we really do appreciate all you say about us! Thanks again. (and to all!)

Raceway ATV
Do you sell and or ship to Canada (Ontario). I was thinking about getting a quad for my daughter and Raceway is the way to go.....I know it will need to be in U.S. funds.....caper.....THANKS.....

Old 11-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer

Make sure that you understand that the Kazuma Falcon does NOT have a transmission that changes gears. It stays in one gear using the centrifugal clutch. It implies that it is an auto transmission like the CVT but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the difference before you ordered it. Would not want you to get it and be disappointed.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 PM
cr4
Weekend Warrior

Sorry if this is a duplicate...power dropped as I was hitting the reply key.

You may want to check out the new Redcat MPX90 SGT (select gear transmission) 4spd semi-auto. They have also added a rear foot brake to the SGT unit. May want to consider the Jetmoto 110 or Redcat 110 if you want a larger frame 3spd semi-auto with reverse.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

cr4, Thanks for the headsup,

I've just recently seen that Redcat SGT unit being advertised and found they also make it in a 70cc. It has dual a-arms, front and rear drum brakes with a foot pedal for the rear brake, headlights/brakelight and is 32" wide which is a lot wider then most other quads with that size of a frame. All for $625 delivered. I really like the idea of being able to put it in 1st gear only and maybe limit the throttle a bit so the kids still have plenty of torque to go up the hills but can't gas it out of control (I've experienced that riding on the back of the go-carts with a centrifigal clutch). The only downfalls are I've heard that the Redcats have had some quality problems, don't know how hard it is to get parts and it lacks a remote kill. I think I would trade the remote kill for the selective transmission though, it still has a tether kill.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

having been thru 4-5 year olds grandkids and buying them atv's, ( 8 & 9 now ) and had purchased 5 atvs so far for them ,, 50,70,90, 110, for this age group the automatic transmission is the only way to go, at this age they don't have enought strenght in their ankles to shift up and down and knowlege to know when to shift, with an automatic just start and go, ride and have fun,