ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Sportsman 90 Modifying Brake levers???? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/234521-sportsman-90-modifying-brake-levers.html)

chipster314 03-22-2006 02:43 PM

Sprotsman 90 Modifying Brake levers????

Looking for a handle that is bent in closer to the bar. my little girls hands are on the small side and looking to make it easier for her.

Thanks

oldyeller 03-22-2006 07:51 PM

Sportsman 90 Modifying Brake levers????

I haven't had any luck finding smaller levers.If you look in my pictures you can see an easy modification that I did to hold the lever closer to the bars.I just adjusted the cables with a little slack so there was room for the metal bracket to hold the lever in without applying the brakes but applies them as soon as the lever is pulled.Make sure the piece of metal is centered so the cables won't wear against the edge of the metal.The nice part is that once their hands get bigger you can just take the little bracket off and return the bike to normal.

chipster314 03-23-2006 12:36 AM

Thats a good idea, I was thinking of some sort of wedge in there but yours looks good. Think that would be possible with the left side also. Only problem I forsee is the break light being on all the time. Guess i could just take out the bulb for now.

oldyeller 03-23-2006 02:47 AM

Yeah it should work on both sides unless it interferes with the safety starting switch or leaves the brake light on like you say.Our Viper has a hydraulic brake on the rear so I couldn't use that trick on the left side.

RAMTechRC 03-23-2006 03:39 PM

I made the mistake of trying to heat and bend my Chinese SunL brake handle. I thought they were aluminum, but they were actually pot metal.

mywifesquad 03-23-2006 04:52 PM

Years ago I had the same problem with my boys. I took one of those nuts that go on the valve stem of a motorcycle tube valve and cut thru one side with a hack saw. I slipped the nut over the cable between the lever and the bracket. I used 2 in the begininning and then took them out as the kids grew.

BMazz007 03-23-2006 07:34 PM

what do you do with hydrolic brakes i was just going to start a post about this for my kids new atvs how do you move the lever closer?

mywifesquad 03-23-2006 07:47 PM

Originally posted by: BMazz007
what do you do with hydrolic brakes i was just going to start a post about this for my kids new atvs how do you move the lever closer?
I'll look at my Jetmoto tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

BMazz007 03-23-2006 08:24 PM

thanks my wifesquad im thiking of somthing too.

chipster314 03-24-2006 12:29 AM

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Years ago I had the same problem with my boys. I took one of those nuts that go on the valve stem of a motorcycle tube valve and cut thru one side with a hack saw. I slipped the nut over the cable between the lever and the bracket. I used 2 in the begininning and then took them out as the kids grew.

Thats a good idea also. I might try to improve on that and use a hard rubber washer so it does no damge the cable at all.