Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

3 SUNL 110cc Mini

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 SUNL 110cc Mini

I purchased 3 SUNL 110cc ATV's for the kids. I picked them up last week and assembled them. The quality of the machines have a lot to be desired but for the price, you can not beat them. I paid way less for 3 of these bikes than I would have paid for 1 90cc Jap bike.

I had the following issues when I uncrated them.

- 1 of them were missing all the hardware to assemble. Not a problem as they were sent to me in 3 days.
- 2 of them came with adjustable rear shocks and 1 of them did not. Waiting for the replacment shock for the 1.
- Parking brake on 1 of them fell apart. Waiting for replacement.
- The hub that holds the brake rotor is not machined correctly and the brakes rotor wobbles and binds. Again waiting for replacement hub.
- Head light bracket was broken. Waiting for replacement headlight assembly.

I have not replaced the oil yet, as I wanted the kids to ride them for a while before doing this. The oil that came in these bikes looks okay and has held up to 4 hours of riding. It is now time to replace the oil. I am going to use 10-30 synthetic, the walmart brand.

A little about these bikes from my experience the last week.

If you think you are going to walk behind these bikes with the pull cord in your hand you have to be kidding! At the slowest setting they just take off! So, stick with the remote shut off if you want to stop the bike and explain to the child they are doing something wrong.

The bikes are fairly fast and they vibrate like made at slow to mid speed, then they smooth out around half speed and start to vibrate like crazy at top speed. Not sure why but still looking into. On hard surface they are great. A little bouncey but usable for the kids. I have been adjusting the shocks to accomodate for there weight. Seems to help a lot. We took them out in the mud/rain yesterday and they did okay. The ground clearence, 4 inches, on the rear causes them to hang up if they are not going fast enough through the mud. If they do hang up and spin the tires in the mud the tires tend to break there bead and deflate. This is because I used the factory setting of 3.6 psi and that does not cut it. I put them at 8 psi and had no issues. Tires are kind of hard now and give a crappy ride but they will pop the bead off the rim if this is not done. As for the batteries, they stink and do not have a lot of punch in them. When they crap out I will go to walmart and pickup the 4LBS batteries which will fit right in these bikes.

I am basically happy with these bikes so far for what they cost. I would only recommend them to folks that are handy with tools and understand how to set up the ATVs for youngsters. It takes time and patients to do this but is well worth it to see there faces when they ride them.

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I was braking beads all the time when we were in ruts. I stuck with the higher psi as well.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

pemad,

I bought one of the sunl mini delux 110 for my son to beat on. I want to see how they will hold up. He also has a Yamoto 110 that he has had for a while and he really likes it. As for the sunl I have had a few small issues but nothing that could not be fixed within a few minutes. This thing is wicked fast, runs smooth, suspension a little stiff and does not vibrate much at all. Now for the issues! He drove it very hard yesterday over jumps, bumps and pretty much anything he could drive over. He drove it for about 7hrs yesterday then for about 5 hrs today. The first thing that happened was the exhaust studs broke. I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and lock washers. Next was the rear tether would kill the motor at random. I took it off. The front bumper plastic came off. I mounted it back with bigger washers. I tightened the chain 2 times but seems fine now. I have 1 tire that wont seat on the bead unless it is at about 20psi. Still leaks but very slow. I have a new tire and wheel on the way. I expected issues with the machine. The issues were minor and really no big deal with me because thats why I got it. The tranny works awsome, motor is very strong and it has been beat for 2 days straight. I wont let him beat on the Yamoto because I know it wont hold up to what he has been doing to the Sunl for the past cpl days. The Yamoto is for when we go trail riding. Overall I am very surprised how it is holding up. I expected something major would happen like broken ball joint, tranny or suspension part. He was racing a bunch of kids yesterday and no one could touch it. I think once I work all the bugs out it will be a tough little machine. I think softer suspension would improve it alot but for now no money is going into it.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

2manytoys,

Good to hear these things run strong after your test rides. 2 of the bikes are for my 3 and 7 year old girls which tend to ride mild on them so they should last a long time. The other one is for my nephew and he has not run it hard, so all 3 should hold up for a while. My wife took the girls out today riding and man did they get into some mud. So far these bikes hold up in a lot of mud. I thought we would have electrical problems but the mud and water does not seem not to bother them. Time will only tell if the bikes will last!

Old 04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just changed the oil on the 3 bikes. Not too many metal shavings and the factory oil does not seem much different than the 10-30W pennzoil I replaced it with. Interesting note, 2 of the ATVs came with washers on the drain plug and 1 did not. Put the plugs back on all 3 and none of them leak oil. After putting a quart of oil in the first one I realized that is way too much oil for the little enginee. Drained some out and got it adjusted using dip stick. Next one measured the oil. Looks like they take roughly 24oz of oil or around 700ml. This may be a little on the high side so please correct me if I am off. Enjoy!

Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just make sure you check the exhaust bolts every so often. Other than that it has been pretty strong. We'll see how much they can handle.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not checked the exhaust studs. Do they break off or come loose?

One of the ATVs front wheels were tilted out and I could not figure out why for the longest time. I tried to adjust the tie rod, but that did not help. I then tried shimming the bulk head between the 2 control arms and that did not help. So I took the measure out and started measuring different points on the front of the bike. Then I noticed the problem. The upper control arm was put on backwards or shall I say up side down. Anyway, I put the upper control arm on correctly and adjusted the tie rods. Wheels are now back to the position they are supposes to be.

Another note is to check the bolt on the bottom of the steering leg. I noticed on one of the ATVs that the bolt started backing out and the steering became sloppy. I tightened the bolt up and noticed there is a hole for a cotter pin after the bolt. I proceeded to put a cotter pin in just in case the bolt decides to back out. I did this on all 3 ATVs.

Cheers!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just received my replacement parts on Friday and put them on the ATVs. All 3 ATVs are all up and running with no issues at this point.

There is 1 thing that I have noticed on these bikes and I suggest everyone should check before sending there kids out riding. You MUST check the bolts that hold the front spindle wheel steering hub together. These bolts will loosen up and the front end could come apart causing your child to get hurt. My plan of attack to resolve this problem is as follows. 1st I am going to replace the nuts with new lock nuts. 2nd I am going to drill holes in the bottom of the bolts so I can place a cotter pin through the bolt in case the nut decides to back off. This way the hub will stay together and the nut will not be able to back all the way off.

I also want to say that the folks I bought these bikes from have been SUPER. They told me when I purchased the bikes that they have a no hassle 6-month warranty and they have backed this up 100%. I purchased these bikes from EmployeeDiscounter on Ebay. The owners Glen and Sheri Barling have been great. They have sent me all the replacement parts.

Note that if you are not capable or willing to do some wrenching on these bikes I would steer away from them.

Cheers!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

A little update on these things. They are holding up. My oldest can go all over and climb hills with these things. Once the young rider learns how to drive they really can go. She took the SUNL mini through 8 inch of water the other day and had no problems. Water does not seem to bother these little bikes.

The only delima is that the you need to check all bolts prior to riding. They like to loosen with out loctite.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has been over a month with these quads and I have had no big issues other than the normal chain tightening and putting the 3.00 per gallon of gas in them. Kids love them and they run real nice. Only nightmare of a problem is the dang tires pop off the bead every once in a while. I am going to buy some bead sealer from pep boys and see if that helps. I try to keep them around 15 psi. This seems to help.

Quick Reply: 3 SUNL 110cc Mini