Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New to quads, I dont need anything fancy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to quads, I dont need anything fancy

Hey all,

I been looking around at some atv sites and this seems to be the most nuetral when it comes to off brand quads. I am currantly looking to get something to just cruise around on, nothing to exciting. I am looking into the jetmoto 200, because of price and some reviews ive seen on here.
Now the kicker... im 6' 300lbs. i have kinda stumpy legs and arms. I know a 200 is not that big but basically I just want to putt around and ride some trails, maybe bungee the fishing poles to it and ride around a lake, and attack the occasional puddle. I don't care to race it and i'm sure my signifigate(?) other would prefer me on something slower anyhow.
I dont mind doing simple mods to get a little more power, like rejetting the carb, or changing the sprocket to get some more low end torque. I can spin a wrench and am not a stranger to mechanics.

Can anyone give some advise on this please?.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I forgot to mention I have had many years experience with dirtbikes, streetbikes, and offroading. All my bikes have been a 75 honda 75r, multiple 70's yamaha enduro bikes, and a honda 74 cb450. I have never had anything over a 450 and all my enduros had been 250's which was plenty for what I do. thus my reasoning in a 200cc. something new should be able to match this performance.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Welcome to the forum mxcarne! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am hesitant in reccomending the 200 Jetmoto quad for your weight. I truly have to wonder how it would do in a long term test like that. The 200 I have will pull my 235 lbs quite easily and shouldnt have any problems pulling you around either. Im more worried about the frame. I will say that if you ever jump anything with this quad it will most likeky break after a short while. If you actually can just putt it around it will do fine but Id suggest you wait for the true ADULT sized Jetmotos coming out either late this year or early next year.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree I think you are asking for problems. Even just putting around can put alot of strain on something that is not designed to carry the load. I would suggest looking for something used in that price range, that had a little more a$$ to it. Not knocking the quads, looking at getting a small one for my son but beleive you need to keep them in there range of capabilites.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there one that you might recommend. I would like to keep it under $2000. I went to pepboys and sat on there baja extreme 300 and it seemed to be about perfect. the price on that was $2500. They also had a 110 or 150, cant remember, but it seemed a little to small size wise. I live in denver and right now there is nothing decent under $3k used. And I am looking to get something this year incase I decide to go hunting.
Call it a trial by fire but if this is the one I go with and I feel it can't handle what I do, I will more than likely upgrade to the full size adult one next spring

But honestly i'm not looking to get crazy with it at all. Mostly like I said I am more into just putting around with the occasional muddy dirt road and mountain trails. I am more interested in buying something to get started with quads, then move to something better in a year or 2 and give this to my daughter.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

well prices vary alot by area but around here you can get a pretty nice used quad for around 2 grand

Id look for a 250 recon, 350 rancher, 350 Bruin, or a 250 bruin all these can be had new under 4k so finding a used one a few years old under 2k might take a little time but I think can be done.

If want something sportier there are always the warrior 350, z250, 250ex, 300ex or maybe even a 400ex (most likely a 400ex in that price range isnt going to be anything you want but you can get lucky lol)

Like I said prices vary in area but all those could be found around me for 2k or so. Im looking at a 05 250ex for my wife I can get for $2500 from a dealer.

My warrior is in great shape, runs better than new and has about $1600 in after market parts on it. Ill be lucky to get $2500 for it around here. Click on my sig and see

One good thing about a decent quad in this price range is if you keep it in good shape you want lose much if anything if decide to upgrade in a year. Again not bashing Jet moto but I dont imagine resale value is very good.

Good luck

Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with bberick. Consider purchasing a slightly used quad. If you are just trail riding, check out the Polaris Trail Boss 330. I have one and it's great. It's fully automatic (with reverse.) Just my opinion based on personal experience. It will haul your weight just fine. I used mine to pull a trailer full of kids in a parade. Good luck in your decision!

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Your post has KYMCO written all over it.
I've tested the 250cc mongoose for 2 years now, and they are tough! 1000% better than the jetmoto/cheap quads.
They make a 300 version now. One model has racks (the fishing poles).
These are CVT machines (belt drive) and are slow compared to 300ex's etc. and just a tad smaller.
FYI: I'm 5'10" and 255, it hauls me up any hill w/o problems. It will haul your 300#IMO.
It will make a wonderfull machine for the daughter later as well.
They have a foreward/reverse control, front and rear brakes on the handlebars plus a foot brake.
My wife loves it, heck, I love it too. My 250R is like work to ride comparitively.
The previous post w/ranchers and such are good options also.I have a 03 rancher but would have bought the Kymco if I would have only known.
Good luck with your choice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the jetmoto this last weekend and it was tiny.

Some like the Linhai/Manco Talon/Bigdaddy 260 have a hi-low range. Think that would be worth considering.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
I looked at the jetmoto this last weekend and it was tiny.
Which one RL? Although it doesnt really matter because they are all basically the same size.

Quick Reply: New to quads, I dont need anything fancy