ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Looking for options for a youth ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/250062-looking-options-youth-atv.html)

superdaves 09-22-2006 11:48 PM

Looking for options for a youth ATV

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was hoping to get some insight from the folks here on a suitable ATV for my daughter. I'm looking for an ATV with specific features for my 5 year old (not going to be driving by herself for a bit!). Specifically I'm looking for the follow features in order of preference

1. Rear brake operated by foot
2. Reverse
3. Automatic
4. 90-125cc
5. Electric start
6. big enuff to support both of us for a bit until she gets old enuff to ride by herself (210lbs would be fine)
7. 4 stoke

I'm open to various ATV brands and have looked at the 2007 Polaris Sportsman 90, Yahama 125 Grizzly, Honda TRX90, Baja 90. I've also looked at some chinese branded bikes like the APS 110 from www.advancepowersports.ca (offered by Costco for $1340 CDN). A 50 cc ATV by Powermax (www.powermax-motorsport.com). I haven't seen the Kazuma models yet however I plan on dropping by a dealer to take a look. My main request is the foot operated brake as I'm not sure that my kids will be able to effectively stop the atv given their small hands (anyone have any problems with that?). Obviously I understand the massive price/quality difference between the brand names and chinese bikes so I'm open to all options. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cvc42 09-22-2006 11:58 PM

My vote is for the Yamaha, when I bought one for my daughter (Eton 70) I had no idea they made a small utility,if I had it would be sitting in my garage. I think the Grizzily is the better quad of all you listed. Take her out and see how she fits on them first. Good luck!!

superdaves 09-23-2006 12:50 AM

My main use of this ATV will be riding around our property and neighbourhood. I do not expect to do much trail riding however I can't rule that out. Obviously she will be closely watched for a few years before I ever let her on it alone so we would mainly use it just to ride around the neighbourhood on the roads (enclosed nieghbourhood, lots of kids with ATV's)

E7O 09-23-2006 11:29 AM

Take a look at this forum and see what is giving most of the problems. What you'll find is all the Chinese ATVs have the most problems and are bought because they are least expensive...price seems to always be the deciding factor.

BUT...

I'm going to steer you away from those and tell you to only buy from the big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki). You will have more enjoyment with these ATVs because they are reliable and well...just made to last. So when your kids have outgrown the bike in a few years...try reselling a Chinese atv...you won't get but a hundred or so dollars for it -- hell that's if it even lasted. The big four bikes retain their value...if you don't believe me try looking up the resale value of a TRX90!

You will have the Polaris crew telling you to go that way...if you want a two stroke then that may be an idea. But ALWAYS look for the big four before anything else.

My oldest son just left a TRX90 at 13 years old (2 years riding it)...my youngest son 8, has taken it over now for a year and rides it like a champion (ages 7-13). The bike has been ridden hard and has never faltered once. Try getting that much use out of a Chinese bike...it won't happen.

cvc42 09-23-2006 11:35 AM

Well said.....

cvc42 09-23-2006 03:45 PM

If you are not going to race stay with the 4 stroke big 4. Tiawanese bikes are good machines but for kids just riding trails and in the backyard they will serve much better.

Scooter86 09-23-2006 05:21 PM

The 80/90 range of atv will be to big for your 5 y/o to handle by herself most likely. If you just plan on riding her double, that class may be all right though. I have a TRX90 and ride my 4 y/o on it from time to time. I really like this model because it is set up more like an adult quad than most(suspension and air filter wise at least) and is extremely durable. However, shifting may be a problem for your little one, and the Honda is low on safety features compared to others. It is really intended for a slightly experienced or older rider. If you are going new, Suzuki and Kawasaki have just put out new 4 stroke 90 models for '07.you should take a look at those before making a purchase. The Baja brand is made in China.

superdaves 09-23-2006 10:41 PM

Thanks for the input. I was looking at the 2007 Polaris Sportsman 90 which is new with a 4 stoke engine for 2007. I haven't hopped on a Honda yet as the 2007s aren't out yet. In the immediate future, I expect to be riding double with my daughter for the next few years until I'm sure she is emotionally mature enough to handle an ATV by herself. I'm also going to look at the Kazuma Lacoste 110cc as it seems to have the features that I would like in an ATV. Honda's (man I love the honda brand) always seems slower in incorporating new features on their bikes (like reverse, foot brakes, disc brakes etc.) I cannot however dismiss the pure relability of the Honda's. Unfortuantely the cost of the TRX90 in Canada is $3700+tx whereas I could pick up a Kazuma 110cc for $1200. I would literally have to go thru 3 units before even breaking even with the Honda. While cost is not the only factor, it's hard to ignore. Any other insight would be great. Thanks all for posting!!!

Raptorlegs 09-23-2006 11:20 PM

Best thing you could do is buy 2. Riding double is never really all that smart but your weight could cause a mini to handle aweful, not to mention they are built for children (light loads). The cvt's especially could pose problems with 200+ lbs. There are a lot of micro minis that will fit a 5 years old just fine. You want to ride double, consider 1 adult machine or a 2 seater go kart and you drive it.

SEADAWG 09-25-2006 11:18 AM

Sir,
Listen to E70...he is right on. If you plan on buying the Kazuma, they are not there yet. Although you say Honda is behind, it is proven. They will not add to items until the quality trials are there. You may think they are expensive, but the retail value cannot be beat. So, you buy the Kazuma you will pay several hundreds dollars on repairs and parts for the next few years. Not only the riding time that you lose. If you stick with it, go to the Desert Cat and buy at Raceway.
If you can afford it, take the $$$ hit now and get one of the big 4. Once I did, I was happy...I was just shocked that they have had 30 years to copy my Honda and make it as good...it is a lot easier to copy than try to be original...they are still not even close. I still ride my 1974 Honda and 1983 Honda on the Trails! SEADAWG