Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Prepping a New Mini Falcon 90 deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepping a New Mini Falcon 90 deluxe

I've been tightening the bolts and using permatex blue. I'm now down to the last few motor mount bolts. My question is should I bother with the bolts on the actual engine? They all seem to be very tight (So were the ball joints).

Also, does anyone have a diagram or manual?

I'd like to take the seat off and get a real good look at the top of the carb. I've read a few posts that mention some type of loose cap on top that leaks fuel and the connection from the tank to the carb should be inspected.

I'd also like to know which screws are which on the carb.

Overall, I'm pleased with the way it looks and hope to get it started sometime today.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Never mind...

This thing fired up on the first try. A minor adjustment on the idle screw (or what I think is the idle screw) and it was purring like a hungry kitten.
Tossed in the new oil after 40 minutes of idling. The original oil looked like 10w40 and was a little off color after running it. No fragments to be seen.

Overall the setup would have gone smoother if a punch list of stuff with some instructions/manual were provided. I guess thats why it was so low cost. Still, a download pdf or a few sheets of paper would be useful...

A few notes for people looking to get one and are somewhat tool deprived,

Make sure you've got several sizes of 10 mm and 14 mm sockets 1/4 and 3/8 drives with extensions plus a pair of needle nose visegrips for the cotter pins and a large pair for the oil drain bolt. It will make your prep that much easier.

Also, look into picking up a 14mm ratchet-wrench from Sears. This was a real time saver on a number of bolts especially around the suspension area. You'll know which ones...

I forgot about the oil drain bolt warning from other posts and picked the one with the spring on it. Took a few minutes to get it back in. I guess I picked it because the bolt is 14mm and the correct one needs visegrips... In case you haven't read other posts, its the bigger bolt and on the right side. Other than putting the tire on backwards and ripping the valve stem out via caliper, this setup was a breeze. Anyone who knows how to turn a wrench can probably do it in about 5 hours or less. Tip: When using pematex on the bolts, put a small dab on the top portion so you can tell if it has been done. I re-tightend several.

Overall, the machine seems to run well and has plenty of pep. It hauled my 6'2" 210 lb body around with ease. If I had to guess, it will do 20-30 mph with me on it.

When buying I was most concerned with size as my soon to be 6 year old son is fairly large and growing like a weed. The meerkats 50/90 have a 9 inch shoe area and his feet are 9 inches now. He's 3'11" and 56 lbs. and the size looks just right at 46x30x33 with a foot area of 11 inches.

I'll be training him over the next few days.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Great information and great posting. Keep us up to date on this machine. Did you buy it from a dealer or the internet?
SEADAWG

Old 11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you did your homework. Everything sounds right and dont worry about the bolts on the motor other than the motor mount bolts. Doing the proper setup and maintenance on these makes all the difference in the world. Keep up on it and your kid will have alot of riding time. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered from ebike. They did everything right and the machine arrived quickly.

So far everything is running very well. The only issue I've had is the fuel valve which seems to allow the tube under the carb to drip gas. I've tried several positions and midway seems to stop it. I'd love to know the purpose of this valve since it doesn't seem to cut the motor in any position... Perhaps it's defective or maybe it's not what I think it is.

Other than that I've been looking everything over and noticed the tie rods don't have a nipple to grease them. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I used to do this on a variety of vehicles.

I'm going to write the service dept a long list of questions on such things as oils, lubricating the chain and other basic stuff. I'll let you know what I get back.

My son has ridden for almost 5 hours and he is loving it.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while and I thought I would drop in for a report.

The Mini falcon survived the NY winter outdoors covered with a tarp. Usage was minimal and I started it every few days. It was tough getting it started on the colder days but it never failed. Overall the machine took the winter weather well. Now that it is spring I'm looking at the motor and parts a little closer.

Some screws have lossend around the front grill and rust seems to be relegated to the muffler and fins on the engine. Not too bad. The choke works however the handle falls down after a few minutes. Overall, I am satisfied with the Kazuma brand and will probably consider other items from them (Go cart).

In my last post I asked about the tierods needing grease and the lack of a grease nipple. Well, the rubber boots have all dry rotted and there appears to be no grease residue. Not sure what to do about this since there never was grease in them. Are they self lubricating since there never was a way to grease them? I don't want to replace them all...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One more thing... when changing the oil make sure you have the back end up in the air. For some reason the oil plug is not at the bottom of the oil pan. When you raise the rear a significant amount of oil will flow out.