Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

watercooled vs. air cooled

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default watercooled vs. air cooled

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum dccarr! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Jetmoto went with a oil cooled engine over the air cooled engine mainly due to reliability concerns. From what i have heard the oil cooler equiped engine runs 50 - 70 degrees cooler than the air cooled engine.
This is your first post here and ...There is no need to be sorry......You did not compare anything to water-cooled!!!!!!...........you were right with the oil/air engine compare....Caper.........

Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never owned an atv, other than riding my fathers honda recon.. I have bought my son a china 70cc, and was really impressed with how it has performed . He's been riding it 1.5 years, and no problems so far... At the end of the month I will be buying two.. I'm still undecided at this point on which china import I'm going to take a chance with... I have a few in mind... One being the viva 300cc, motorextremes 250 prowler, and the Jetmoto 250/oil cooled.... Which leads me to my next question(about cooling) Is there anyway to hook up an aftermarket oil cooling system on an air cooled engine??? Can you buy a kit???

F.Y.I. I have been an auto mechanic most of my life, so I'm not afraid to do some wrenching... I just don't know much about the smaller engines.. atv's etc... On a side note I have heard some really good things about running Synthetic oil in air cooled bikes... A few friends of mine have noticed a considerable drop in temp, and a smoother shift... Anybody else experience the same result??

Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triplx,

I have been working on that idea for myair-cooled coolsport 250. Perma-Cool has a "universal atv oil cooler" BUT you have to have access to either an oil filter (for a relocation mount) or the oil channels. http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

Now, most of the China ATV appear to not have oil filters, and on alot of them the oil channel appears to run up the inside of the case which leaves one without easy access to be able to dril in and mount the lines for removal and cooling. Maybe with part drawings or a shop manual (good luck!) you could figure something out, but right now I'm unable to figure out where to go.

So, I'm looking at adding fans or a car radiator fan to aide in cooling. This probably means that I need to up the output of my stator to compensate for the extra draw on my battery. Any fans will add a minimum of 6 amps draw. I don't know yet if that will draw more than the magneto/stator supplies for a charging current yet, cause these quads don't have alot of lighting etc. to draw. I'm hoping that since they don't place a heavy burden on the charging system there is a few amps to spare.