ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Coolster quads? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/266942-coolster-quads.html)

tencubed 05-17-2007 01:36 AM

Coolster quads?

Anyone heard of this brand? Are they any better or worse than the other Chinese Quads? Any info appreciated.

derbyking 05-17-2007 02:48 AM

Coolster quads?

i just got one for my boy...coolster 110,polar cat 110.dont know how it compaires to other china modles but heres what ican tell you
its sized like a predator 50

motor... has gobs of power for a stock kiddy quad,i had to remove the jamb nut from the throttle screw and replace it with a washer to slow it down enough for my little guy,runs great and i have no complaints about the motor,i would guess close to 40mph unrestricted with me on it,very quiet exhaust,the intake noise is louder

frame....crappy welds,some of the cross tubes were welded in crooked and the seat wouldnt fit/latch with out some modding with a smackalator to the frame,bumper is welded crooked as well

steering...down right scary out of the crate,i could barely turns the bars and it was so tight the wheels wouldnt return to center when riding it,had to loosen the king pin bolts and stem clamp a little....now it works fine

brakes work good but the hand lever needs to be modified for my 5 year old to pull it correctly,its to far away from the grips for him to reach with ease

suspension....HA ,2" of ROCK HARD,set up for a 190 lb rider it think,unrestricted it needs to be wider as well

overall im pretty happy with my purchase so far,i new there would be alot of crappy stuff to deal with and we only needed a quad to last him a year or so and well move him up to our modded 90 predator. i think if i had it to do over i would buy the version that raceway and kidsatv sells, they have front brakes,4 bolt wheel pattern and a few other extras

not to mention motorxtremes called me 3 weeks after i ordered to tell me i was in the extended shipping zone and needed to pay $75 more......come to find out they changed the price of the atv on their site days before...lowered it $100,so i payed $100 more then if i would have cancled my order and re-ordered it the same day,they could have just shipped it and would have still came out $25 ahead of their current price and not ran off someone that was considering buting from them again,i still dont know whos dumber me or them,lol

tencubed 05-17-2007 03:52 AM

Coolster quads?

Good information and I thank you for it. I wonder about the three weeks of wait time as the place in Texas I looked at, coolsteratv.com, says shipment within five days.

I, like you, want something for a year or so till the grandson gets a bit of a handle on riding a motor driven quad. They offer the 110CC utility for $599.00 with free shipping. How does that compare with the quad you found at motorxtremes if you don't mind my asking?

SilveradoSS 05-17-2007 10:49 AM

Coolster quads?

Derbyking, I too, just bought one of the Coolster models like yours. I bought it from a guy locally here in North Texas selling them out of his garage. So far, I've been impressed with its performance for the price ($499). I went through the quad and checked all of the fasteners before letting my son on it and even gave it the "baloney and cheese test" (me, 240lbs). Uncorked, this thing is way too fast for my 5 year old. I've got it limited back to about 10-12 mph. That seems to be a good compromise of take-off power and low(er) speed. Any less throttle and I'm constantly helping my son get over obstacles. I made some home made wheel spacers to help with the stability. Not sure if you've checked the tire pressures on your sons quad yet, but I found my sons tires grossly over-inflated. The rears had 45 psi! They were crowned badly! Once the tire pressures were lowered, the tires tread flattened out nicely.

tencubed 05-17-2007 11:46 AM

Coolster quads?

Sounds like many, many quality control issues at the assembly plant. Did you guys have to assemble the quad when you got it. Wheels, handle bars and that sort of thing or were they already put together?

I have read on this forum of having to let the engine run for a period of time to melt out a gel pac in the carb and that sort of thing. Any of these issues with the ones you bought? Appreciate the feedback.

SilveradoSS 05-17-2007 11:43 PM

Coolster quads?

I bought mine fully assembeled. I knew going in that it's not a Honda. I'm OK with that. I didn't do any kind of run-in on mine, but I don't think that the carb had any gel pack in it. No performance issues so far. Starts right up whenever I've asked it to.

tencubed 05-18-2007 03:32 PM

Coolster quads?

No, they are certainly not a name brand. Think I'll chance it and order one right after the Memorial Day weekend. Gotta be home to meet the truck.

Thanks again for the comments.