Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

any one have any input on a bombardier DS50

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one have any input on a bombardier DS50

I was looking for an entry level atv for my son and narrowed it down to a LTA50 but I seen this one (bombardier DS50) and have not seen any posts on it yet. THey are the same price. Please give me some info as to what it may be like. GOOD BAD OR OTHERWISE. Thanks

Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

The DS50 is a lot better machine .

Old 04-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

You didn't mention how old your son was. If he he is big enough to ride the larger DS 50, thats what I would go with. I bought an LT 50 for my four year old son. It fits him perfect right now, but I'm sure it won't be long before he outgrows it. I started my 6 year old on an Xtreme 90 and kept it limited down until his skill level improved.

Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry. my son is 5 years old and he is new to the sport.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

If you go with the LT50 expect him to outgrow it within a year or two. I already have all the restrictors removed from mine. It's speed is limited by the single speed trans to no more than about 15 mph at the most. The pull starter can be a PITA. I often have to jump off my quad and push if he doesn't get a run at a moderately steep grade. I bought one because it was a size that my youngest could handle safely, and I didn't feel like waiting another year for him to be able to go riding with us. When he starts complaining about being smoked by his older brother, I will sell it and get something bigger.

Thats My $.02

Old 04-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

The DS50 is a good machine. Swap the cdi and the rear sprocket and it is the fastest 50 out there. It is the same as the DRR except cheaper shocks. Size and weight is the same as the DS90. The DS90 is a little faster thatn the DS50 with mods. All depends on what you are wanting to do with the machine. For racing we use both 50's and 90's. For trail riding, go with the 90.

Old 04-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Range Rover

I own both. The DS50 is awesome, and my 6 year old just wails on it.. I KNOW I am violating a rule somewhere, but my 2 1/2 year old rides the LT50 around in circles on the tether kill switch that comes with it.. it is really too small for a 6 year old, and very weak. The DS will stay with your son at least until he is 9-10, then you do a few mods as mentioned above and keep him happy for another year or so.
Definitely the DS..

You can see both in this picture, big difference. The Lt is in the corner, and the DS has the reflector on the back.

Either way, hes got a great dad for getting him a quad!.

For reference, you are looking at (L to R) a TRX90, a Bomb DS50 then the little LT50. And yes the pull starting is a hassle on the Suzuki, and its been fouling alot of plugs lately. The Bomb ALWAYS starts and warms right up with a push of a button. Just WAIT till YOU get on that DS and gas it.. it is limited down to a low speed but it has got GOBS of low end..

Old 04-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Trailblazer

badittude,

Thanks for the info that has been a great help. I had heard that the ds50 are quite slow. can you tell me how fast they are? I dont need speed for him right now just want it for future play time with Dad.
Thanks.
Rickster

Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

speed stock? Probably 15mph. After $100 worth of stuff? 38mph approx.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

Rick, yep, top speed is about 15- 20 mph, but only because of the gearing. It is all bottom end. It has the juice to ride in the sand and hills. I am 230lbs, and I can pull a wheelie on it. I think the speed it runs now is all I want for my 5 year old. Much faster, and the steering would be too quick, I think. But as your boy gets more experienced, I am sure he will want more, and like some of the other guys said, you could go up one tooth on that front sprocket and change the rev limiter and it would scream.
I still cannot believe the difference in power between the two 50s. Later.

Quick Reply: any one have any input on a bombardier DS50