Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

differential oil in a Kazuma 110 Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default differential oil in a Kazuma 110 Falcon

Double posted. (I posted in another ongoing thread, but then realized it may get lost in the unrelated thread)

I have a chain drive Kazuma Falcon 110 w 3 speed semi auto/reverse. It originally had a no spark condition, and I traced the problem to a bad stator. Now when I removed the LH engine cover to replace the stator, I DID have oil drain out, and it smelled like gear oil, not motor oil.

I searched/read the related threads on here, and I see now that its not just me who thinks the manual sucks. So I now know that the oil plug on the right side IS the correct spot to fill oil, I know NOT to look for a dipstick as it doesnt exist, I know the oil drain plug is the larger of the two on the bottom of the engine and that its the one closer to the RH side, and I know to use the sight glass a the level indicator for motor oil (even though the manual states this is for differential oil)

I too removed the smaller "drain plug" on the bottom LH side, with the spring and rod behind it. Nothing drained out of it when removed, other than a few drops.

So reading the manual, it states it takes about .2 quarts of differential oil. Again, when I removed the LH cover (stator cover) it DID lose fluid that smelled like trans/diff oil. And like others, I thought the round plug on top DOES look like a fill plug. But w my mechanical backround, having the stator immersed in oil just didnt seem right. I also saw no place (when the cover was removed) for the oil to actually enter the engine/trans from the stator area. So basically if I DID fill through that plug on the LH side (the manual calls it a magneto cap and a cam chain adjust cover), I would be doing nothing more than bathing the stator in gear oil.

so..... DOES this quad have a place to put trans/differential oil? If not, (as I think I interpreted from the searched/related threads) then why did I get fluid out of the LH cover that smelled like gear oil when removed?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

After thinking about this, I wonder if the previous owner had accidentally put differential oil in the stator cover. would explain why I had oil come out when I removed the cover, and would explain why the stator went bad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no diff oil in that machine. Only use engine oil on the right side of the engine & it drains from the right underside of the engine. The left hand nut you took off with a rod is the timing chain tensioner & any oil that came out of there is only some lube for the timing chain, when you fill up the right side of the engine, it will "splash" some over to lube that chain. Nothing goes on the left side.... A LONG time ago, they were shaft drive machines & that is why the manuals talks about the diff fluid, they just never changed the manual.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

Your 150 does have diff fluid in the reverse box, next to the small output drive sprocket, 80w90 in there.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I can rest easy now knowing Im not going to lock up a tranny/diff. Must have been the previous owner filling it in the wrong hole (that sonunded wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) that casued it to leak out when the cover was removed. Would further explain why the stator went bad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for this post!!! I have been trying to figure out the gear oil situation, and the lack of a dipstick for a couple days now. I was afraid that the dipstick may have broken off inside the motor.

One question though....... is it just me or is the oil plug a complete pain in the butt to remove/replace??