Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Mini 110cc Chinese quad have spark W/n start

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini 110cc Chinese quad have spark W/n start

The quad has really good spark but will not start. even if I spray starter fluid nothing. I adjusted the valves still nothing. I think the rings may have went, but would that prevent it from doing anything. HELP! My son really wants to ride.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Trailblazer

As an easy way to check the compression, let me put a pic here, please.
1. Turn off the main switch for the safety
2. Remove the screw cap at the center of the crank cover.
3. Turn the crank with 14mm box wrench in CCW as shown in the pic.
You will feel the compression if the rings worked in correct.
Hope your son would enjoy a ride soon.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

I would go back to your basic 4 stroke troubleshooting method. You need the following for a 4 stroke engine to run correctly...

1) Spark - good strong BLUE spark

2) Compression - 4 strokes do not require near the compression as two strokes, but its still a requirement

3) Proper fuel/air mixture - just because there is fuel in the cylinder, means nothing. Ensure float levels are correct, air mixture is correct. A good place to start from, is the factory settings.

4) Proper valve clearance - valve clearances vary from depending on make & model, and engine size. One thing to note with valve adjustment procedures you will find out there, is that most of the time, there is always some little tidbit of information left out, keeping you from making a good adjustment. The adjust process is easy, providing everything is done in a specific order. When people leave out those tidbits of info, it can completely throw of the adjustment, often leaving you in a worse place than where you started.

5) Engine timing - chances are, if you haven't altered the timing or removed & replaced a key component in the timing path, then is still correct. Never hurts to verify it though, so it can be ruled out as a possible cause.

If you are getting good spark, I would bet the issue is carb related. I have experienced a few problems with chinese carbs, and its often much easier to just replace the carb than it is fiddle with the settings to get them spot on. Chinese carbs are very cheap, so the price of the carb tends make it worth it just to "pluck and chuck".

Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I am getting good compression I can feel it pumping out the spark plug hole pretty good, and also out the exhaust

Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

using starter fluid takes away having any fuel related problems ( carburetor) as long as you're using the starter fluid correctly. spay less than a second on the airfilter or better yet inside the thottle throat while having the thottle open all the way, do not use a full choke, use partial or no choke. if you use to much starting fluid it's like using to much gas it will flood and foul the spark plug, causing it not to fire. if it still doesn't fire up for a breif time then it's can only be no ignition or lack of comperssion. i would replace the plug again, recheck spark, you should beable to see the spark in daylight, if not then you have a weak spark and it could blow out during the compression cycle, now if you have a great spark then you need to go back and readjust the valves. unless this atv has a lot of hours or the airfilter hasn't been maintained the rings should be alright, my guess would be the valves are still to tight. if you'll using starting fluid, have a good ignition source and have any type of compression the engine should start, if you need valve adjustment instructions e-mail me luvmysxs@yahoo.com.