Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

just bought 00 lt80 general questions

Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought 00 lt80 general questions

HI, I just purchased a used 2000 lt80 for my 9 yr old daughter. (I own a kingquad 500, and a 91 230quadsport both all stock). So, when i picked it up, the guy showed me the brass peice taken out of the carb, and thats pretty much all that was done with the bike. I am 6'3" 225 and I test road it on pavement. sitting back on the seat the thing wanted to lift the front wheels when i took off, I just bought tonight, so didn't have time to really ride it. But it seems to be in great shape. What I was wondering is roughly top speed of this machine with my daughter on it, or myself? also, I noticed right away that i want to widen the bike. But on a budget. Hoping someone can tell me where To get affordable extended a arms and longer travel shocks for the front. I just joined this forum 10 minutes ago, but read through 40 pages of the kids quads topics. I know nothing about this jetting, and clutches etc... even though I'm mechanically inclined with cars and trucks, but my quads are all stock. Also, I read a few topics about lighting. I myself am going to buy a high powered battery operated Bicycle light, and mount to the handlebars. Also, You can buy red led lights for the rear of bicycles, Just thought I'd throw that out there for those wanting lights without draining the battery. So yes if anyone can tell me a cheap easy way to widen the bike I'd appreciate it. adding some suspension travelwould be nice, as i noticed it is a bit top heavy, but its use will mainly be for my daughter to ride around up on myparents 60 acre farm, mainly grass, some dirt trails. It's a 2000, I paid 550.00 dollars for it, so I don't want to spend a whole lot on it. Even though when i rode it, it really seemed fast, I might try to modify in the future but for now, better stability is on my mind. thanks in advance,.................FIRST POST ON SITE............

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the ATV Connection forums.
Top speed is approx 30 +\-
There are screw on spacers to widen it, you can make spacers also. You can turn the rear wheels around for some extra width but that don't work on the front (valve stem hits).
There are no cheap a-arms. You might as well understand first off that the suspension (or lack of it) is the only drawback of the LT80. Look back for a thread on the shocks. Someone posted using a different shock that they said helped.I think it was a Polaris shock..
A nice set of Works shocks would be a good investment for your daughter.
There are hoods w/lights available.
Jeting. go down a size on the main if you'd like but it's fine stock.
The clutchs should be maintenced. ie:checking the front clutch for flat rollers and hard dried up grease.

This machine is old and may have serious troubles....I'll give you $560 for it..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ya know that was a joke right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
You got a fine machine and you got it cheap as heck! Don't be afraid to put some money in it for some goodies.
Any questions, ask away, lots of good ppl in here to help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only got a quick second, but............
The cheapest way to widen out is to pull the studs and replace with 3/8" (pretty sure that's correct size) bolts. Can't remember the exact length, but I think you want 2-1/2" or so. You can figure that out though. Get the grade 8 bolts. Put the bolts through and use two or three nuts as spacers, tighten 'em up good. We did this all the way around and had no problem whatsoever. You'd be suprised how much more stable these things are with just that little bit of widening. We even raced the crap out of it. They lasted just fine until I eventually upgraded with wider axle and front end extenders.

Good Luck and have fun

Sidenote: (not a hijack) Hey Jack, see the addition to the bottom of my signature [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
To funny, Almost everything she has is plastered #88 or Angela Butler.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]