ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   lt 50 wont crank after bath? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/302534-lt-50-wont-crank-after-bath.html)

durabostbay 12-06-2008 08:20 PM

lt 50 wont crank after bath?

Hi to all, got a problem with my sons atv. I recently did the basic mods to this atv. And after running it around the house for a week or so, we decided to take it to the local atv park. Everything went well and we got home late, so I waited till the next day to wash our atv's. The 2002 LT 50 started and ran on the first pull cut it off to wash it with the pressure washer (electric cheapo not much presure) after finishing I pulled the cord and she fired right up, drove her around to the back yard to dry off before putting her back in the barn. Well after a couple hours of dry time I tried to crank her up and well it just wouldnt crank. I figured I might of got some water in the fuel system. Well I checked the tank and it was empty so I put fresh gas in. I have flushed the lines with fresh gas pulled the carb off and apart 2 times and I still cant get it to crank. I do have spark and the plug looks great. What else could it be??? It dont make sense to me that this atv was running the best it ever has and cranking the easiest it ever has, and after giving it a bath it wont crank. PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I THROW IT IN THE METAL DUMPSTER!!!

rjdad 12-08-2008 01:20 PM

Dont use a pressure washer, just a regular garden hose will do. I would assume that you have gotten water in your electricial connections and will have to do the folowing.
1. use compress air to remove all of the moisture
2. use dielectric grease on all of your connections (helps in water proofing the connections)
3. make sure your stator is dry

durabostbay 12-08-2008 07:25 PM

Thanks rjad for the the reply. I have been leaning towards that being the problem. When I check for spark I stand the bike up on end and I get a good blue spark. I want to try checking the spark with the atv on all fours, to see if there is a differance. I will also check all of the electrical connections. I thought the stator was inside the engine and could not get wet. Am i wrong or do I need to take a side cover off the engine or something and check.

crazy old mudslinger 12-08-2008 10:45 PM

i had a warrior that had that happen to , & somehow it was the cdi box , hope u got better luck than that

rjdad 12-09-2008 11:21 AM

On my son's Eton it is located on the side just behind the fan cover and engine shroud. I had difficulities with it and the problem was that the gap setting was to wide and would caused for hard starts. If any moisture or dust got in there it was always a pain to start and keep running. After resetting the gap, my son can run through water, mud without any problems. But, I would start with your connections first to rule out the obvious first. And if that is not the problem, you have taken care and properly weatherproof the connections by using the dielectric grease.

durabostbay 12-09-2008 05:09 PM

Had some time to play with it today. Checked for spark with the atv on all fours and I still had spark. Broke out the service manual and read up on the electrical system. Did the ohm test on the generator and it checked within specs. Then I did the ohm test on the coil/cdi box, and it checked open, no resistance at all. So that tells me the coil is bad, but what I dont understand is why am I getting any spark at all with the coil reading open. The spark is blue which I believe is good (correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems to be sparking more than it should, as in the spark seems almost constant.

Called the local dealer, and a new coil from suzuki is $111.00 (wow) but the parts man told me he could get me an after market coil for $9.95 I plan on trying the after market coil. Would there be any objections to this?

rjdad 12-09-2008 06:32 PM

I wonder why such a difference in price? If the after market works, then you saved a lot of money...what the heck its 10 bucks...go for it.

durabostbay 12-09-2008 06:34 PM

I rechecked the coil with a more sensitive meter and got a reading of 22 M ohms the specs are 10-20 K ohms. Does this sound like the problem to yall?

durabostbay 12-09-2008 10:47 PM

rjdad, thats exactly what I was thinking. Any how it is ordered and should be in by Thursday. Ive got to get this thing running, because I am going to hand it down to my 3 almost 4 yo son. My 10 yo is getting a raptor 90 for Christmas, will be picking it up when I go to pick the coil up. He doesnt know it yet, and wont know till Christmas morning. Ive done so much work to make this little 50 scream amd now I got to tone it back down for its new rider.

rjdad 12-10-2008 12:17 PM

Im surprised that no one has chimmed in on this. I hope that the part works because there is nothing more gratifying than seeing a child's happiness. Please keep me updated.