Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt50 Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt50 Advise

Hello everyone, new to this forum and I have several questions regarding the 2003 suzuki lt50. I have searched for some of the information yet, I seem to be reading some conflicting information and need some help sorting it out.

I am trying to increase performance on this bike, simple and easy, as I am no bike mechanic. I have already removed the exhaust restrictor. I have read about another restrictor in the carb, yet my local dealer, and some other information I have read on the web, only indicates that the LT80 has the additional restrictor in it and not the Lt50. Could you further guide me as to the location of this additional restrictor and how it is removed. I would also like some advise on other easy mods to increase the performance and save me from moving up to a bigger bike. My son is not quite ready for the larger, but has peaked on this one from a performance aspect.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lt50 Advise

first off welcome to you.. there is another restrictor in the intake tube between the carb and the cylinder. just take it off and you will see a keyhole shaped place in the end, it is pressed in you will have to heat it up with a propane torch and use a screwdriver to pop it out. beyond that the next cheapest thing is do increase flow from the airbox(drill some holes) and then do some jet work (increase main jet and maybe remove the smaller pilot jet) some have even drilled out or remove part of the baffle in the pipe, buy I would recommend buying a ct racing pipe. hope this helps need anymore help just holler..

Old 07-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt50 Advise

Is there anywhere online I can see a diagram of where it is located?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:40 AM
Range Rover
Default Lt50 Advise

If you go to the website, worldofpowersports.com and look up "cylinder" in the repair parts section for the suzuki LT50, it will show a microfiche of the intake pipe and where it bolts to. It does not show the restrictor plate but it was in my kids quad. It is in the opposite end that the carb is on. Put it in a vise with the carb removed and heat up the end that has the restictor with a propane torch (aprox. 60-90 seconds) and twist the slot with a screwdriver and it backs right out. Total disassasemble and reassemble, even for someone not too mechanically inclined is no more than an hor and some change. Don't disconnect the throttle cable from the top of the carb. That can get a bit tedious to put back together. Just remove the carb from the pipe and the pipe from the cylinder.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lt50 Advise

The heat didn't work in my case so I had to drill mine out. Even with drilling it didn't take long....

Old 07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lt50 Advise

When I removed my intake restrictor all I had to do was place a large screwdriver in the slot, and with the help of vice-grips give about 1/4 twist and it came right out. No heat required???

Don't forget to smooth the recess up with J B Weld where the restrictor use to be.
Clean the recess with some solvent: MEK, Acetone, Paint thinner, isopropal alcohol to remove the gas reside and allow the adhesive to stick.
Sandblast the recess if you have access to one.

Insert a 1/2" steel dowel pin in the intake, but a drill bit would work the same.
Mix J b Weld and fill the recess.
After J B Weld cures, remove dowel pin/drill bit and sand adhesive smooth.

I hope this answers your question
Shawn.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt50 Advise

Thanks for the help. I did remove the carb yesterday from the unit. I looked at the cylinder and did not find the restrictor. I put a new intake pipe gasket on and put the carb back on. After thinking about this some more, I was wondering if this restrictor is in the intake pipe. I just looked at the cylinder where it connects.

I did not take the intake pipe off the carb, just disconnected the carb/intake assembly from the cylinder and looked at the cylinder itself. Does this one not have it or have I failed miserably by not looking at the bottom of the intake pipe? Do I need to remove the intake pipe from the cylinder and the carb? Or should I just remove the assembly and look at the bottom of the intake pipe, where it attaches to the carb?

What a slacker......

In regards to the airbox: I drilled out the opening of the back of the airbox assembly making the diameter just a little larger. I also added 3 additional holes (.250 Diameter) I ran the bike and it fell on its face when it was accelerated. I am assuming to much air? So I covered the additional holes and it ran as normal again. Any thoughts, besides "don't touch it"....lol

Thanks again for the help!!!!

Old 07-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Range Rover
Default Lt50 Advise

Yes, the restrictor is in the tube. On the side that goes to the cylinder. As far as the airbox thing goes I wouldn't think that it would be that dramatic of a difference. Our LT50 is kinda cold blooded though. Its gotta warm up for two or three minutes or it stumbles if you gas it right away.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt50 Advise

So, I did goof...lol Thanks for helping out! How much increase in performance will be noticed after this intake restrictor is removed? Is it enough that we would notice? I was hoping that this would give my son some more power for the loose gravel hills, and a little more top end. Any comments appreciated

Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lt50 Advise

If you put holes in the airbox you're gonna need to rejet.

Quick Reply: Lt50 Advise