Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Just aquired a 1998 Suzuki LT80

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just aquired a 1998 Suzuki LT80

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with some information. Last night, I just aquired a really nice 1998 Suzuki Quadsport LT80. I was told it needs piston & rings (haven't had a chance to look at it closely yet), but it also has some missing parts from the airbox.

The tires, exhaust and plastic are in excellent shape, and the spockets look equally as well. It also needs a battery too.

Can someone tell me where a good place would be to purchase the parts needed to fix this little machine? I'm going to need a service manual too.

The color is yellow with a blue seat.

Thanks again for your information.

Pete

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eBay is an excellent source of good used parts, as far as repair/ mod work, look up our resident LT80 super builder, Jack, who goes by LT80 on the forums. He can help you with any problems, and if you want a solid performance motor, he is the guy to help you out.
My son started out at 5 years old on a beat to death 1987 LT80, after he got bigger, I had the motor bored .020 (it was that bad),did some clutch and reed cage modding, put a pipe on it ( DG, junk, don't buy one) and he rode it until he was almost 9, what a great little quad, you will have a lot of great memories with your kid riding that.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 95wolv

eBay is an excellent source of good used parts, as far as repair/ mod work, look up our resident LT80 super builder, Jack, who goes by LT80 on the forums. He can help you with any problems, and if you want a solid performance motor, he is the guy to help you out.

My son started out at 5 years old on a beat to death 1987 LT80, after he got bigger, I had the motor bored .020 (it was that bad),did some clutch and reed cage modding, put a pipe on it ( DG, junk, don't buy one) and he rode it until he was almost 9, what a great little quad, you will have a lot of great memories with your kid riding that.</end quote></div>

Thank you for the information 95wolv. I'm not looking to put a ton of money into this ATV. If the parts are reasonably priced, then I will go for it.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.motorsportssupercen...bybrand/1/Suzuki.aspx

I posted that link in the other thread. Good prices for "joe mini wrench"..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
You'll need to look at your piston to know what size it is now. In the front on top, (opposite the exhaust port) there will be ::
no number, meaning it's a stock size piston, or a 5 or 1.0 indicating .5mm / 1.0mm over.
A bunch of stamped numbers across the middle of the piston will indicates a Wiseco piston. Look at the last 4 numbers for size.
You then take the new piston and cylinder to someone that bores them out.
Piston kit, cir-clips, piston pin, pin brg, gaskets, and the cylinder boring should be $100-140 or so.
You can look up the air box parts that are missing or ebay those.
You should maintenence the clutchs. Prolly need rollers $3-4 each and are six rollers. The plate that covers the rollers~about $5. "If" the variator is bad, it's about $40.
So for about $250 (or less) and twisting a cpl wrenchs, you can have yourself a fine ride. Pretty cheap IMO. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LT80

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/1/Suzuki.aspx
">http://www.motorsportssupercen...d/1/Suzuki.aspx
</a>
I posted that link in the other thread. Good prices for "joe mini wrench"..[img][/img]

You'll need to look at your piston to know what size it is now. In the front on top, (opposite the exhaust port) there will be ::

no number, meaning it's a stock size piston, or a 5 or 1.0 indicating .5mm / 1.0mm over.

A bunch of stamped numbers across the middle of the piston will indicates a Wiseco piston. Look at the last 4 numbers for size.

You then take the new piston and cylinder to someone that bores them out.

Piston kit, cir-clips, piston pin, pin brg, gaskets, and the cylinder boring should be $100-140 or so.

You can look up the air box parts that are missing or ebay those.

You should maintenence the clutchs. Prolly need rollers $3-4 each and are six rollers. The plate that covers the rollers~about $5. "If" the variator is bad, it's about $40.

So for about $250 (or less) and twisting a cpl wrenchs, you can have yourself a fine ride. Pretty cheap IMO. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Thank you for the information. The machine is actully a 1988, not 1998 like I was told. The tires appear to be original, the plastic is in excellent condition as well as the frame. The guy told me it needed piston/rings, but there is no battery so I'm going to purchase a battery this weekend, and try to crank it over to see what it does, if anything.

There is a guy on eBay selling rebuild kits for $159.99, this includes a Wiesco piston, cir-clips, rings, gaskets, and boring (sending the cylinder to them) Is that a good deal?

I'd like to buy a service manual too, like I have one for my Polaris.

Pete

Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a good deal but the wiesco piston wount last as long as a OEM suzuki. been there done that. as for the service manual. YOU HAVE A Private message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Please don't get me wrong, but I just don't understand the anti-Wiseco sentiment for the LT80, I put a .020 over Wiseco in my son's 87, it ran great, had tons of power, and lasted from age 5 to 9, then was sold, still running, they ran it a few years, then sold it, and it was runnig fine. I understand Jack and you, and others having a preference for the factory Suzuki piston, but I never had a bit of problem, and my son ran the living hell out of that motor after the rebuild, even raced it a few times. Not trying to start an argument, but if someone wants to use brand x over brand y, and if money is a big factor, I don't see a problem. Just my opinion, and I respect yours as well.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

I have had wiseco pistons in acouple of my quads.and they never lasted. as for the price they are I think the oem are cheaper. but most of the time they have to order them and that makes the wiseco easier to get. I just never had luck with them. just my 2cents. and Im not looking for a fight eather just helping out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"There is a guy on eBay selling rebuild kits for $159.99, this includes a Wiesco piston, cir-clips, rings, gaskets, and boring (sending the cylinder to them) Is that a good deal?"
You do not get your cylinder back from that shop. You could send a stock bore cylinder and get one back that bored to the limit. A waste of bores.
I think it's about $40 too much.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

IMO Wiseco's need a more detailed break-in period. The stock pistons virtually need no break-in. Once broke-in, the Wiseco's seem to last ok to me, altho their rings are thinner.
For a race motor, a meticulous break-in period is required plus I drill holes below the ring gaps to drag oil up. Still no break-in for the stock pistons.
Bores above 1.0 have to use Wiseco's. Stockers are not made that big.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hi, Jack,
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know about the break in, or the ring thickness comparasion, both good points when looking for a replacement piston. It's just that I have used Wiseco in a few quad rebuilds ( 2 and 4 stroke) and put them in my son's 440 XCR sled with no problems, so I was curious why so many people were down on Wiseco vs. factory. For someone like you who requires the top output from his parts, I can see why you like the factory parts, to be honest, I never compared price, it was just a lot easier to get Wiseco where I am than find a dealer for OEM pistons.

Quick Reply: Just aquired a 1998 Suzuki LT80