Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kick Start-Yes-Electric Start No

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick Start-Yes-Electric Start No

I'm very close to giving up on this one. My step-son took it swimming a couple of months ago. Drained all the water out of the carb and started and ran fine. A couple days later it wouldn't start with the button, but would kick start and run fine. Charged battery--No. Changed starter (FUN!)--No. Took old battery and had it tested--Bad--No. Neutral light--Yes. Solenoid and relay good-Yes. I wouldn't say that it's easy to kick, but it's not a "shovel-head" either. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I spent about ten years working on elevators and can troubleshoot anything with a diagram. Any suggestions? It does have a "black box"...CDI?

Thanks in Advance, dm

Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just "load tested" the new battery and believe that it is bad. When I turn the key and solenoid picked-up, the voltage dropped to 9.45vdc. I hope it's bad! If not, I downloaded a service manual for about $7 and the diagram is pretty simple. Everything is working right. Either the motor is too tight for the starter motor to turn it over or ?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So what kind of bike is this?

If it runs OK then the engine isn't toasted, and the starter should be able to turn it over without dragging the battery down to 9.5 volts. When you measured the battery voltage while cranking did you do this right on the battery posts (this eliminates bad connections on the way to the starter, both hot and ground return)? If the battery voltage right on the posts goes to 9.5 volts then you battery is bad, the battery isn't charged, or your starter is shorted.

Jump the quad to your car (make absolutely sure you don't get the connections reversed, or your quad will lose the car/quad battery battle). Does the voltage stay up while cranking? Does it crank normal speed? Does the starter get hot quickly?

Start up the car with the jumper cables in place and use the car to charge the batteries (car and quad) together for 10 minutes or so. Remove the jumper cables. Does the battery do any better while cranking (i.e. is the battery more charged now)?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

2004 Polaris Sportsman 90. All I get is the "click" of the starter relay and feel something click in the starter. I'm swapping the "new" battery out today. I got the schematic and it's got to be the battery. I replaced the OEM starter thinking the needle bearings to be toast after the swim. The new starter by Rick's Motor Sports with ball bearings is presenting same symptoms. I spun the starter with jumper leads before install and seemed good. I removed the starter relay and jumped the contacts out and got the same "click" from the starter. I still believe to be a bad battery off the shelve.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm...Try running a extra ground wire from the frame to motor..

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good idea! Update: I just swapped the battery for a new one and it also has tested bad with a load and VOM. Think the auto store got a bad batch?