ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Buying a 2001 LT80 - what to look for? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/319371-buying-2001-lt80-what-look.html)

DSengineer 10-14-2009 11:27 AM

Buying a 2001 LT80 - what to look for?

I found one locally a guy is selling and am thinking of driving over to take a look at it this weekend. From the pics it looks like it is in pretty good shape for a 8yr old kids quad. I talked to the guy on the phone and he said he bought it about 9mo ago for his daughter but she never rides it, so he is selling. When he bought it it had a pipe (not sure of the brand) and a set of Skat-Trak Glider paddles (we do ride a lot of sand so this is a +). He said it runs great and just needs a new chain. After he bought it he said he replaced the top end himself...

I can't say I am all that familiar with the LT80. WHat kinds of questions should I be asking the guy when I go to look at it. WHat should I be looking for? I definately want to take it for a rip down the street before making an offer.

DSengineer 10-14-2009 11:37 AM

Here is a link to some pics of the LT80. Can anyone tell me what pipe is on it? Any good?

LT 80 2001 SUZUKI

Hymis 10-14-2009 11:57 AM

I think it looks clean. pull the plug and look at it. I would recommend doing a clutch tune up if you buy it. for two grand more you can buy mine! See the post under trick lt80

DSengineer 10-14-2009 12:07 PM

What should I look for on the plug? Sorry I'm a 4-stroke guy. Any idea on what pipe that is?

Hymis where do you live? You LT80 is definately nice but I'm not sure I am looking to drop that kind of coin on a quad for my son. He hasn't been THAT good this year:)

LT80 10-14-2009 04:47 PM

I can't see the pipe well enough to tell. It's not a ::Trinity,Hetrick,ATV Racing,or CT.
I thought it was a DG but the silencer seems way long for that.
Maybe: LRD, FMF, Pro-Circiut.(SP)..

Look in the area of the front sprocket and where the rear end bolts to the cases. Cases break there.
Look under the machine where the frame rails tie together. Set down and look at the 2 down posts on the frame in the lower air box/carb area. Frames break there.

It looks like a nice machine

My 2 cents,,, If you think that your son won't like riding, is rather meek and mild, and will rarely have the machine at full speed (28 or so). Buy that one.
"IF" your son loves to ride, likes to rip and tear (like I'm thinking dad does), consider hymis' quad.
It'd make a great machine for the dunes, MX, trails or just in the back yard.

AHHH let's face it, you and the kid is going to love it all and you'll be spending that much or more to get the same in the long run..This ones tuned and ready to unleash Moore Power for your kid!! :D :D :)

Hymis 10-15-2009 11:56 AM

Jack, Thanks for the plug! I'm taking a huge bath on the lt80 no matter what. Ijust dropped another $ 800 having the top and bottom re-done to get ready to sell. I'm going to post some sort of video and sound because I don't think people have any idea what an LT80 can do once you open up its potential. Its kind of reminds me of a diesel truck without a turbo. I cant imagine it without one. And the same with an LT80 that hasn't been built by you.

Hymis 10-15-2009 11:59 AM

Oh yeah, Im in Oceanside Ca. I recently sold a super trick 250R to a fellow is Mass. I had it shipped in a container from Daylight shipping. It took 3-days by plane and cost $ 345.00 and they picked it up!

LT80 10-15-2009 03:08 PM

800.......wow.. Someone gonna get a deal. :)

DSengineer 10-19-2009 10:47 AM

Well I went and took a look at the one in the Craigslist add over the weekend and wasn't impressed. I didn't find any cracks in the frame or cases but you could tell the thing had some heavy usage. The pipe is the stock pipe cut down and fitted/welded with an aftermarket silencer of some sort. It was extremely loud and would have to be replaced it I were to keep it. THe chain and battery needed replacing and the started seemed somewhat loud when cranking. It did fire right up but had the smell of race gas. I asked the guy about it and he couldn't tell me why the previous owner had race gas in it or if it actually required it. THe guy selling it had only had it for 6mo and had replaced the top end because he said it was hard to start. He said she never rode it and it still had the original tank of gas from when he bought it.

I think I am going to keep looking for something with a little less use.

Hymis 10-19-2009 02:46 PM

Buy Mine. Seriously... You can turn the thumb throttle screw and limit the power until the boy is ready. My son is 13 weighs 96 lbs. I have a Yamaha Banshee sitting in the garage with easily worth over 15k for my boys taking when ever he's ready. He likes the LT80 so much more that he's giving me grief for even the thought of selling it. And nobody has ridden it since the new motor work. But I need the room in the garage for more of MY toys.