ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   to big for my son......or not (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/322410-big-my-son-not.html)

aaronrkelly 01-10-2010 02:00 AM

to big for my son......or not

Short question

Is a small Honda 200cc utility ATV to big for my son.....?

Long version

My son is a BIG 8 year old....weighs right at or just over 100lbs....wears a size 14 jeans.....LG coveralls. Hes not a little guy. Hes bigger then my girlfriends 10 year old by quite a bit.

His riding history.....

started riding a Chinese 110cc wheeler at 5

bought him a one of those 110cc Chinese 2 person go karts (actually big enough for most adults to ride) at 6

then on to a Suzuki JR50 dirt bike at 7

then he upgrade to a Suzuki LT80 ATV at 7

then he moved up to a Yamaha TTR90 dirt bike later at 7

So now hes riding the TTR90 dirt bike and the LT80 ATV daily....rain, snow or shine. The go kart he gets out occasionally....all the stuff hes outgrown I save for his sister....and added some stuff - full garage.

I bought a 1994 Honda FourTrax Type II in September to have something to ride so I could take him to the trails. I didnt plan on liking it as much as I have....I REALLY liked trial riding. This is a very small ATV for someone my size but honestly it has taken my places I had no business going....and it did it with ease. Its also really nice to be able to maneuver a small ATV around on the trails and in the yard.

Since the day I brought it home hes also ridden this ATV in the yard....never on the trails. We have a track and a mud pit....hes very proficient in riding this 200cc Honda.

The rule since day 1 was I must DIRECTLY supervise him riding the "bigger" Honda ATV (mine) but he can ride his LT80 with INDIRECT supervision....meaning if Im in/out of the house, working on projects, across the road at the neighbors or in the house....he has to ride HIS ATV. If Im standing in the yard watching or mowing.....he can ride MY ATV.

Ive bought (but not took possession) if a 2001 Suzuki King Quad 4x4 with a plow/winch....and since Ive gotten a bigger ATV he just assumed he could have mine.

At first I thought no problem....now Im second guessing if the little 200cc Honda may still be to big for him yet.

I know in the end its up to me....just asking for some opinions.

I have some pictures for size comparison.

Here is it next to his LT80....its not really THAT much bigger, is it?

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs087...._1429772_n.jpg

Here he is riding it....his legs appear to be fairly bent while still accessing the controls....

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7964986_n.jpg

Again with a front shot

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4724922_n.jpg

Here he is standing up going thru some ruts (under the snow)....what am I looking for here.....2 to 3 inches of space when standing?

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs099...._4901483_n.jpg

The Honda isnt fast or particularly powerful (it does have great low end power).... honestly the LT80 will eat its lunch until the upper end of 4th gear and into 5th. The Honda is and will remain bone stock. His LT80 has quite a few performance parts....its moves pretty good. If we race around the track, me on the 200 Honda and him on the LT80 there is no question about it - he leaves my ass in the dust. So power/performance wise....he can handle it no problem. Im just concerned about the size/weight.

Hes not a big trail rider.....more of a yard/field wheeler. When we get to the trails he likes flat and level....any type of incline and hes done.....he knows his limits and doesnt ride stupid.

Just looking for some advice from some people that have been down this road....

......and yes I look like a monkey f*#@$ing a football riding the Honda but damn if I dont have a hell of a time doing it.....I can trail ride that little machine for HOURS on end with a smile on my face.

xcitmt 01-10-2010 02:30 AM

It appears your already confortable with him riding it. Obviously any kid is going to want anything bigger and faster... right. Looks like he is handling it fine to me.

jaybeecon55 01-10-2010 09:24 AM

You have covered all the bases here: You son is experienced and had been on a variety of different machines. He's larger than normal for his age. Combine that and add in your obvious parental presence while riding and I'd say that your son will be safe on any quad that he can physically fit on.

We've done a similar process with our sons - the only other step I could add is that we use helmet radios while out on the trails.

LT80 01-10-2010 09:25 AM

I give you credit for asking!
I like the ATVA guidelines for kids on a bigger machine. I see you may have seen it as you mention the ability to reach the controls and legs bent when sitting.
I see 2 things::
1) he seems to almost fit the 200...Not bad IMO.
2) he's not outgrown the LT80. I've seen it 1000 times, as soon as the kid gets big enough to throw the machine around and have some real fun, the parent gets another machine. With your sons expierience, I could see him on a bigger machine soon.
Again, I commend you on your riding attitude/rules with your son. :)

blevinsbulldog 01-10-2010 03:01 PM

I'm w/ Lt80, No way has he outgrown the 80, looks like to me its absolutely the perfect size for him.

aaronrkelly 01-10-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by LT80 (Post 2883321)
I give you credit for asking!
I like the ATVA guidelines for kids on a bigger machine. I see you may have seen it as you mention the ability to reach the controls and legs bent when sitting.
I see 2 things::
1) he seems to almost fit the 200...Not bad IMO.
2) he's not outgrown the LT80. I've seen it 1000 times, as soon as the kid gets big enough to throw the machine around and have some real fun, the parent gets another machine. With your sons expierience, I could see him on a bigger machine soon.
Again, I commend you on your riding attitude/rules with your son. :)

Yeah I know he hasnt even begin to tap the capabilities of the LT80 - thats for sure. He can learn MANY things riding that machine....and its not going anywhere, Ive got a 4 year old girl so I dont see any reason to sell something now to re-buy again later.....which is my there is literally 5 ATVs, 3 dirt bikes and 2 karts in my garage....waiting for HER to use. The stuff he outgrows gets moved aside.

The LT80 wont get moved aside so much as used in conjunction with as hes VERY hesitant to part with his machines....he rode the JR50 and the TTR90 both daily until he was literally squishing that JR50....and only quit when I forced him to get off it before he hurt himself. The LT80 is by far the faster machine in the yard/field.....you have to work the TRX200 to get it up to speed....then when you do your braking for the corner.....the LT80 you just hold the throttle and power slide around the corners....something he has figured out quite well. Despite this I guess I cant think of a time when he complained about the TRX200 being slow....if hes riding the LT80 hes all about going fast.....but when hes on the TRX200 hes just loafing around in 2nd/3rd driving over stuff.....guess his riding style matches the ATV....sport vs utility.

Where the TRX200 shines is in the mud and snow....and this is where its the better machine for him over the LT80. Ive put the wheel spacers on the LT80 - a move Ive never regretted, really makes the machine more stable.....but this means in the mud pit it just COVERS him and the quad in mud.....which takes me about 45 mins to clean. The TRX200 doesnt get a drop of mud on him or it....and it does the mud pit at low speed with ease. Same thing with the snow.

Guess it sounds like my plan should be he can use it more often.....once he gets big enough to learn and understand the concept of a clutch I see him on something like a Blaster eventually. While he is a big kid and he is very mechanical he does have a tough time understanding some things and I dont think hes ready for a manual clutch just yet....maybe in a couple more years. Although I could come across a good deal on a Honda 250ex - I think those have whats called a sport clutch that can be used both ways.

learnem 01-11-2010 07:10 AM

here is my take...some people may not agree with it

If your son can reach the footpegs while sitting on the seat, and can stand up to the point to where you can see daylight between his rearend and the seat...he is OK for the bike

now, the most important point....DONT let him out of your sight on that quad.

and the most important piece of information i could give you

please have your son wear a helmet, regardless of your local laws, ESPECIALLY when you are taking pics of him and posting them on the internet...just more fodder for those that hate our sport, and want to shut it down

I dont agree with the size restrictions....common sense should provail. however, it seems that a good part of americans have lost sight to what common sense is anymore

does an 8 yr old need to ride a 450? no...

what it does come down to imo, is a level-headed parent, who has the time and the energy to watch their kids participate in this sport...that is the biggest safety feature, imo

jaybeecon55 01-11-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by learnem (Post 2883572)

what it does come down to imo, is a level-headed parent, who has the time and the energy to watch their kids participate in this sport...that is the biggest safety feature, imo

The CPSC has written volumes on ATV safety and has yet to figure out this simple fact.

Bryan55m 01-11-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by learnem (Post 2883572)
here is my take...some people may not agree with it

If your son can reach the footpegs while sitting on the seat, and can stand up to the point to where you can see daylight between his rearend and the seat...he is OK for the bike

now, the most important point....DONT let him out of your sight on that quad.

and the most important piece of information i could give you

please have your son wear a helmet, regardless of your local laws, ESPECIALLY when you are taking pics of him and posting them on the internet...just more fodder for those that hate our sport, and want to shut it down

I dont agree with the size restrictions....common sense should provail. however, it seems that a good part of americans have lost sight to what common sense is anymore

does an 8 yr old need to ride a 450? no...

... I totally agree...
As an experienced responsible riding parent yourself you have the best feel for your child’s capabilities. We can all give our opinions but in the end you will be the one who makes the ultimate decision in this situation. My 4 year old at the time but now 5 has adapted to his 90cc Polaris quad with my supervision and has developed into a good rider. I was going to start him off with a 50cc but decided the 90 that would last him longer and being he was already a healthy 60lb kid and did fit the machine well. The biggest thing I can stress is teach the youngsters "respect any and all machines" no matter the machine or the age, use proper safety equipment, and always ride with supervision! My son and I always ride together and he really smiles when dad splashes through the mud too.
Aaronkelly .. to better answer your question IMO... if your son can reach all controls and properly operate this 200cc why not let him :) Just stay close and shadow him on the bigger machine while he is first starting out on it and you develope a good comfort zone. When coming from a smaller machine some youngsters just don't fully understand the potential of the bigger motors until the have a little extra seat time. With his previous experiences it sounds like he will adapt fine. Good luck and safe riding.

lcatv 01-12-2010 02:55 AM

You asked so you must be a good parent.
Put your son through an ATV safety course. What he learns may save his life.
My opinion: It isn't the size of the engine but the weight of the machine that make it safe or not. He has to be strong enough to control it in a bind. The ATV safety course will show him how to do it correctly. One thing I am positive of - eight or sixteen - don't let him carry a passenger ever! Don't rush him - he will grow up fast enough and because you care he will probably grow up without any injury's. I tell my grandkids I insist on safety because I love them not because I don't want them to have fun.
Safe riding.