Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HELP 2009 Gio 125 ATV NO START

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW,
I have just learned from a friend who is a former Arctic Cat dealer that the 2 stroke AC 90s (2002-2003) were made by Adly (Her Chee) in Taiwan.
My 2 units do have Adly cast into several parts.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by techoca
Lynn,
The values I measured were as follows:
Winding 1: Battery Charge Winding (Yellow/Red Stripe)
Winding 2: Trigger Pulse (White/Red Stripe)
Winding 3: AC Ignition Power (Black/Red Stripe)

On the original stator, initial testing of the trigger pulse measured 110 ohms, and the AC Ignition winding measured 0 ohms. I don't remember the battery charge winding as I didn't write it down; that is what I based my diagnosis of bad stator on. At the time I did not have a factory service manual so I based my readings on some values I found in this forum.
I think you are correct in that the replacement stator is the wrong part. I ordered aftermarket to try and save money but I've lost. Yesterday I ordered a stator from the dealer and it turns out there was no real savings anyway. I should have a new stator by Wednesday pm.
Thanks,
Eddy
Somehow I misread your earlier comments and thought the bad stator measured good (except for a 0.1 ohm defference in the battery charge winding). I realize now that those readings were from a good running quad. My bad...

Zero ohms on the AC ignition power is definitely wrong. Have you tried digging into the stator ignition power winding to see if you can find the short to ground (frame)? On the stators I've looked at the ground side of the winding is the start of the winding close to the core, and is wound back and forth and building up outward from there. The end of the top layer of wire is the hot side of the ignition power winding.

Since you got zero ohms the short to ground has to be very close to the top layer of windings, or in the wiring path from the winding to the connector. If the ignition power wire looks good (no pinched wire to the frame) between the coil and the connector, then I would remove the tape around the coil and see if I can see a short there. You might be able to fix the old stator for a spare.

You'll need to use high temperature tape to rewrap the ignition power winding if you do unwind that part.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

Lynn,
Thanks. I will try to find the short. Looking forward to this quad running again.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Lynn,
Thank you for your help. Thanks to all who contributed.
My initial diagnosis was correct (bad stator), and I received a faulty part from an aftermarket supplier who will remain nameless unless they renege on the refund. I ordered a factory part from Arctic Cat and it worked perfectly. I wasted over a week of my time because I was too dumb to check the replacement part for function; not to mention the frustration and second guessing myself. I will tell you that I am now intimate with this quad as I have tested and combed every wire on this sucker. I dismantled the entire wiring harness and found and replaced some burned ground wires. The end result is a very happy nine year old boy who doesn’t have to ask his six year old brother if he can ride his quad! Thanks again, I hope this helps someone else along the way. OBTW, there was no real savings in the aftermarket part, maybe $15.00. It is still an ongoing problem trying to get a refund.

Eddy

Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you got it running.