Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help me choose which path to take. Off-Brand or Used. Details in post.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose which path to take. Off-Brand or Used. Details in post.

Sup guys,

I am new here and will probably need a lot of help that I may not be able to return unless you are having computer problems. I am not very mechanical you see but I would like to get my son an ATV for his birthday coming up in May.

So far I have narrowed it down to 3:

$1000
Brand New J015 Chinese off brand
125CC Utility ATV w/ reverse and 19inch wheels

$1500
2003 Yamaha Breeze
125cc carb has been cleaned, greased fittings, serviced basically

$1000
2004 Polaris Sportsman 90
The machine looks great from the pictures but the guy said it needs the carb cleaned. He isn't very mechanical but it turns over yet it won't start.

I know this isn't something that is cut and dry because of dealing with people and I have actually only touched the new off brand and not the other used... However, my son is turning 7 and I want this to last him at least 5 years of riding.

Any recommendations on which path I should take...? Would I be better off to continue my search for a used machine or go ahead and get a new off brand?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:28 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum burgezz!

If he is big enough for the breeze... Id get that..

If you would like to learn more and or improve your mechanical skills get the Chinese quad.

Ive got no experience with the Polaris..

Is this something you would learn to service yourself? Or take to the shop for any work needed?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the welcome...

I would definitely like to learn to work on these motors but I have never had the opportunity to watch anyone except for my Dad when I was younger and he never explained anything... Hand me a wrench, grab my beer.. etc.. lol I have been reading and this forum seem's like a good resource for learning...

Will the off brand have as much climbing power as the other two... I mean for the most part he is going to be riding in a small field and the yard but on occasion we may go trail riding...

Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Just a note on the Polaris. It is not actually made by Polaris, but made in Taiwan and bears Polaris name. That being said, it's a decent quality build vs most of the chinese mainland imports.

I'd agree with MWQ and say the breeze would be a better choice of the 3.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by burgezz
Thanks for the welcome...

I would definitely like to learn to work on these motors but I have never had the opportunity to watch anyone except for my Dad when I was younger and he never explained anything... Hand me a wrench, grab my beer.. etc.. lol I have been reading and this forum seem's like a good resource for learning...

Will the off brand have as much climbing power as the other two... I mean for the most part he is going to be riding in a small field and the yard but on occasion we may go trail riding...
Your welcome

My dad struggled to remove a light bulb without breaking it.. I learned the hard way.. by making a lot of mistakes.. We can definitely help you with any problems you have..

The Breeze will easily out climb any 125 from China...not sure about the Polaris.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The Polaris is a 2 stroke and can be built up pretty good, but not cheap. Thing I'd worry about it is the size. If you've got the average size kid, he'll be physically too big for it in a couple of years.

MWQ, your dad was in the business of making things break.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by Scootergptx

MWQ, your dad was in the business of making things break.
Yes he was...

Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Well,

My son is turning 7 so I'm not sure if he is too small for the Breeze.. What do you think? He is average height and weighs around 65lbs.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the exact off brand ATV... It really bothers me that I can't find an actual manufacturer.

editing the links out...

Just google j015

Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

The dealer that has the off brand also has an LT80 for $700.00.. I think it is early 90's model.

Quick Reply: Help me choose which path to take. Off-Brand or Used. Details in post.