Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LTZ50 had spark cleaned carb and now no spark???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ50 had spark cleaned carb and now no spark???

I've been helping get my buddy's son's 4wheeler running. He took it to the shop and they told him it was the cdi box and the are aparently VERY proud of their cdi boxes so I ordered him an aftermarket one. We swapped them out and had bright blue spark through the plug, so we put it back in and found out we're not getting any fuel. Pulled the carb, cleaned it, put it back together, then pulled the pull rope(battery is bad) and pulled it and pulled it for about 20 minutes. It tried to fire off 3 times but it never fired up and ran. so I pulled the plug again and grounded it and now there's no spark. I've checked the obvious, but I need help. Does anyone have the specs on checking the coils or something that is a common problem with this quad?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know this may sound like a dumb question, But when you say you checked the obvious....Did you make sure the brake lever was engaged and lastly, IF the rear safety switch was even pulled out a little will kill the coil. You can bypass the rear safety (temporarily of course) by grounding the two wire together with a jumper wire. By doing this it will make sure that this safety device is working propperly and allowing you to rule this safety feature out if there is still no spark. I guess the key switch would be another "obvious" solution.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

yeah I checked the tether kill, the handle bar kill, the parking brake switch, and the key switch with an ohm meter and everything is operational. Meaning they all go from either infinite or open to 0 ohms when actuated. I would like to know what the specs are for the primary and secondary coil ohms. so if anyone has that info I would greatly appreciate it. Also, could the new cdi box have just gone bad? What are some of the causes of them going bad?