Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Outlaw 90 Brake Upgrade Q's

Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw 90 Brake Upgrade Q's

Has anyone done a front brake hydraulic disc brake conversion for the Outlaw 90s? These drum brakes are freaking garbage!
I just found a kit from A&J Parts
He told me he has sold LOTS of these kits for the Polaris 90, but there's a modification that needs to be done but he doesn't know exactly what.
I actually bought the kit since he assures me it can be done, and the price is cheap. It seems its something with the spline??
Anyone have any info on these kits?
Thanks!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My guess would be that you'd have to shim out the axle area if the splines are too deep for the new hub and rotor to be able to use the stock nut to tighten it?.http://www.kaseaparts.com/images/hp-...e-kit-0409.jpg

Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya I was thinking the same thing.
I was hoping for something like this but for the front brakes. I will add this kit when it comes and I think I'll try changing out the Springs on the front Brake arm.
I bought some EBC shoes for the front, butnimactually had to sand them down a bit to make them fit.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

So,I went out today and cleaned up the drums, cams, arms everything. I started with just one side, put it all back together and with everything adjusted to the max, I have nothing, not a lick of brakes. I can hold the other side by hand but once the wheels are back on, I have no damn brakes at all.
Even the back ones are adjusted to the Max and no brakes at all on the Bike.
I bought a set of EBC shoes, had to shave some of the pad off to the hub would fit back on, and still no freaking brakes.
I am not letting him drive it and he's not happy. I am going to have to buy that $800 Kit in the Spring and be done with it.
I paid $3400 for this Bike with **** brakes right from new, I can go to Canadian Tire and get a cheap knock off bike for $1000 cheaper and it has Disc brakes.
Craziness!

Old 12-11-2014, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Understand your frustration on the drum brakes. Wouldn't buy the cheap Chinese knock off though even if it does have disc brakes. In a short time you probably wouldn't need brakes as you'd probably be pushing it rather than riding it..

Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If your brakes don't work, you have either seized cables or something assembled wrongly, probably the cams on the wrong spline. Also, with the adjusters slackened right off, shoes should fit without modification, I would double check that you have bought the right shoes for your model.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cables are all functioning fine, cams are both moving equal, and yes we double checked the part number on the shoes and they are for this Bike.
There's no way the EBC shoes fit even with the cables slacked right off.
I am lost on this for sure. It's pretty basic stuff.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The last Polaris 90 I worked on was a two stroke so I can only go by what works for most drum brakes. When you run out of adjustment on the cables you remove the lever from the cam and move it round one spline, this gives you back some cable adjustment. I know some front brakes are tricky as the lever can hit the rims if it is moved round too far but you can get it to miss the rim when the cable is adjusted up.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya I did that with the back brakes, and they work awesome... That's with me squeezing the lever because its hard to pull in now. So I adjusted the wing nut off a bit and he can stop alot better now.
I am going to try and move the Arm from the cam and try to get the front to work!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone tried the rear disc brake upgrade from AJ parts? If so what was needed to make this work on the Polaris?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outlaw 90 Brake Upgrade Q's