Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eaton Viper 90 weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton Viper 90 weird issue

I posted this in the "Ask an expert" forum as well.

I just picked up an 02 RXL90 for my son's birthday. He's finally showing interest in riding with us, and I was excited to get him out this weekend.

Here's the history- I bought it from the original owner and it has been sitting a couple years. I cleaned the carb (it was already clean and jets were clear), added fresh fluids and plug, and it started right up. I rode around the house a few times and parked it. Gotta say, I was impressed with the power it puts down!

Fast forward to today. Getting ready to load up, it started up easily, ran a few min. then quit. I cleaned the carb again with no change.

Here's where it gets weird:

Cold starts normal, runs for about 30 seconds and dies. Any attempt at restart and it won't fire.

If I unplug the electric choke, it will start up, run briefly and die. Any attempt at restart and it won't fire.

If I plug the choke back in it will start right up, run briefly and die. Any attempt at restart and it won't fire.

If I unplug the electric choke AGAIN, it will start up, run briefly and die. Any attempt at restart and it won't fire.

If I plug the choke back in AGAIN it will start right up, run briefly and die. Any attempt at restart and it won't fire.

Now, continue repeating this process with the same results. If I don't plug in/unplug the choke in this sequence it just cranks without even a pop. I would assume the heating element in the choke is shot, but shouldn't it run fine with it unplugged? I'm in FL, so it's still 70 here right now.