Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sportsman 90 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 no start

Just picked it up, not sure of the year but it's a 2 stroke with a kickstart and reverse. Has sat outside for a year and a half. They put a starter switch (?) in it and a new battery, battery is not fully charged yet but even with a battery charger hooked to it there is no power to the starter or to the pod, neutral or reverse light won't come on. Fuse on positive wire looks good. Won't fire with the kickstart at all. I will change the plug and clean the carb tomorrow, but I am pretty sure there's an electrical problem. Any pointers on what's my most likely culprit?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Northstar2
Just picked it up, not sure of the year but it's a 2 stroke with a kickstart and reverse. Has sat outside for a year and a half. They put a starter switch (?) in it and a new battery, battery is not fully charged yet but even with a battery charger hooked to it there is no power to the starter or to the pod, neutral or reverse light won't come on. Fuse on positive wire looks good. Won't fire with the kickstart at all. I will change the plug and clean the carb tomorrow, but I am pretty sure there's an electrical problem. Any pointers on what's my most likely culprit?
Don't just look at the fuse,test that it has power to each side of the fuse holder.Has a starter interlock switch on the left brake control. If that's the one that was replaced,then possible it's a starter relay located under the seat or the starter itself.Simple meter or test light can help you narrow it down.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What she told me was a starter switch was the thing under the seat. I will look at the fuse and interlock first. I feel like if it was the starter itself, I should still get dash lights. And the kickstarter would start it if the electric starter had no power.. I don't expect it to fire right up and run great after being abandoned outside. Carb will definitely need work, she said it was left with fuel in it. Then she filled the tank with fresh fuel so it will be more work to clean. She told me some mechanic told her something needed to be bled, idk if he meant emptying out the fuel bowl and cleaning it, or what. She also gave me a new part she bought, it looks like a solenoid but she didn't know where it went. I think she was trying to buy the starter relay and they sent her that instead. Thanks for your response.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check on ebay for carbs,plenty of cheap ones on there if the carb is junk from being left outside.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006-Carburetor-POLARIS-90-SPORTSMAN-ATV-CARB-QUAD-/221035235006?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3376ba06be&vxp=mtr Plus if you have an electrical problem,a service manual can help. Open fins on the plastic stator cover can allow moisture in also and bad on the pick up coil and stator on rusting if sitting outside. You might check there first on a no spark condition and clean this area up.Here's the cheap 5 buck manual that can apply to all year models from 2001-2006 2 strokes.2002 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download