Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton Viper 90R 4 Stroker starter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper 90R 4 Stroker starter question

Hello all, new here.

My daughter has a Viper 90R 4 stroke electric start and reverse. We bought it used 2years ago but it is a few years old (I think its an 07-09 cant remember right now). Anyway this weekend it started making a horrific noise when the starter button is hit. It would still start and run, and it runs fine. No noise while riding, only a grinding sound when the starter button is engaged. I am not much of a mechanic so a friend of mine and I pulled the starter. The teeth on the starter looked fine and I spun the gears in the case that I could see and they looked fine also. He took the starter completely apart and put it back together and the same thing.

I searched on line and found one old thread from a forum with the exact same issue. That guy bought a new starter and it did not fix it at all. I will probably go ahead and order an aftermarket starter for it to see if that fixes it but in the mean time I was curious if anyone here has come across this issue before.
I took a quick video with my cell phone. The audio is not the best and sounds like a back fire. That is not it. The grinding noise is coming from the case/starter area.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I can't get your video to load, probably my slow connection. If it is a metallic screech like a bearing seizing, it is the one way clutch for the starter, slipping. I think these 90s have a Honda C90 clone engine and their starter clutch is behind the flywheel, three plungers stick out at an angle and jam when the clutch is turned one way but let the clutch turn freely the other way. The Chinese springs that push the plungers out are of poor quality and get "coil bound". With new springs, you should be good to go.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response. The sound does not sound like a bearing screeching. It sounded to me like the gears were jumping or skipping. It's not a constant sound. Sometimes it does it constantly and sometimes it turns normal for a second or two then it starts grinding again. Sometimes it's worse then others. I honestly figured half the teeth would be gone off the starter when I pulled it out but the teeth on the starter and the flywheel all looked fine.

There is a shaft sticking out the cover for a kick starter. Do all of these come with a kick starter installed (minus the foot lever). When I looked at the online manual it should an optional kick starter kit. If the knurled shaft is coming out of the case near the foot rest I am assuming all I need is a lever to have a kick start?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know about the four strokes but the earlier, two stroke 90s had a kick start shaft and some had kick starts fitted, these were for emergency use and the mechanism would wear out fairly quickly if used instead of the electric starter.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks
I spoke with a guy today who is a mechanic at a dealership that used to sell Etons. He said if he had to guess without looking at it, it is likely the "one way clutch". He said the gear that the starter engages with has a one way clutch only allowing it to go one direction. I figured if it was something like that then it would make noise all the time? Again I am not a mechanic so pardon my ignorance but isn't it basically a flywheel that the starter spins? Once the engine is spinning I assumed that the "flywheel" would continue to spin and would make the same noise all the time. I could be way off since I have no real experience with these.

He also said Eton parts are getting hard to come by. Does this seem to be the case in your guys experience?

Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The part of the clutch that keeps going is the flywheel, a clutch ring on the back of the flywheel, with gear teeth or a sprocket, is driven by the starter and turns the flywheel, but when the starter isn't running and the engine is, this ring stops going round and the flywheel spins inside it.

Just checked E-Ton Americas website and it has gone, checked a UK one and they are selling new E-Ton Quads so it looks like the US importer has closed. Someone else will take it on, E-Tons are quite a good make.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Trailblazer

That's good to know, in case I need parts. I found a break down drawing of these gears and clutches and it seemed pretty straight forward. He is going to dig into it soon and see if we can figure it out. Ill let you know what we find.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

We popped the cover off today and I am pretty sure the one way clutch is the issue. I hit the starter button with the cover off Everything turns as it should but when ever the loud noise starts everything stops for a second. While I am hearing the grinding noise nothing spins.

Get2it parts .com has the one way clutch for $29.00. Has anyone ever dealt with them? Is there any other reputable places to get parts for the Eton?

Last question. When I take the cover off the first piece in front of the one way clutch is the pulley with the belt on it. There is a nut holding that pulley on that must be removed to get to the one way clutch. I am curious what to torque that nut to once I put it back together???

Thanks

Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Take the clutch off first, if it is a Honda style one way set up it may just need new springs. However, if it runs dry, it seems more like a Yamaha Breeze, I have cleaned all the oily dust out of the clutch and got them to run OK again. Sorry I don't know the torque for the nut.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a used 110cc Chinese atv and the carb was shot. I search on google and found this site which I think is awesome. Great detail on the parts, pictures and all the specs you need to match the part you’re looking for.
Chinese ATV parts, Chinese Dirtbike Parts, Chinese ATV parts usa, chinese atv parts canada

Quick Reply: Eton Viper 90R 4 Stroker starter question