ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   New top end? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/375759-new-top-end.html)

SharpTJ 05-03-2018 01:37 PM

New top end?

My kid has 70cc bike that seem to run well until a couple days ago... now it will only idea while choked. If I try to ride it, it will "catch" very once in a while and begin to accelerate for a few feet, then lose power. It will not run un-choked at all.

I can also lift the rear end and it seems to run fine while accelerating and I can even un-choke it while WOT. But as soon as it returns close to idle it dies.

DOES this sound like a compression issue? I was thinking carb, but the inline filter is clear and the most noticeable issue is only under load.

edit: Let me add that I did a compression test, but the results were so off that they lead me to believe the gauge may be faulty since the bike will run at all...

LT80 05-03-2018 05:59 PM

Ya gotta clean the carb first. Dirt can come from vent lines too.

SharpTJ 05-04-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by LT80 (Post 3393159)
Ya gotta clean the carb first. Dirt can come from vent lines too.

Carb cleaned and no spark arrestor... At least it idles now I choked and will move with my 4 year older in it... It still loses all power under any moderate load.

Compression shows 30 psi max... Would it even run on that little compression?

LT80 05-04-2018 03:01 PM

I'd think no.

merryman 05-05-2018 07:55 AM

I had a Honda 70, two wheeler in to "fix for Christmas" a couple of years back. Did run but no guts at all, and quite bad to start, checked compression, less than 20psi. When I took the cylinder off, the rings were so worn they fell through the cylinder when I put them in to check ring gaps. Fitted a Chinese cheapo cylinder kit, ran fine after that. However a sudden drop in compression indicates either valve problems or a piston seizure. Try adjusting valve clearances first.

SharpTJ 05-06-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by merryman (Post 3393266)
I had a Honda 70, two wheeler in to "fix for Christmas" a couple of years back. Did run but no guts at all, and quite bad to start, checked compression, less than 20psi. When I took the cylinder off, the rings were so worn they fell through the cylinder when I put them in to check ring gaps. Fitted a Chinese cheapo cylinder kit, ran fine after that. However a sudden drop in compression indicates either valve problems or a piston seizure. Try adjusting valve clearances first.

It's a 2 stroke, so no valves. I used my buddies gauges and my gauge is, in fact, faulty. 110psi and 15% leakage on leakdown.

Took carb off again and played around with it. I found that if I put my fingers over the 2 small holes where the air box connects to the carb, it runs perfect.

Where should I start with the air screw to adjust it?