Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 wont idle without choke

Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lt80 wont idle without choke

I've seen this topic numerous times but haven't gotten a cure. We've had a 2000 lt80 since new, best kids quad ever....but... a few weeks ago it didnt want to idle. we put it away, then I took it out to ride/ check it. it ran badly, so I put in a plug, cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and it didnt want to run. So I cleaned the air filter[dirty] and put in fresh fuel. It runs well now[ I think it was the dirty air cleaner] but it wont idle without the choke on. It runs great with choke on, then starts to crap out when riding. With choke off it rides great except wont idle and kind of slow to react on initial throttle opening. I took the carb apart again today and boiled it for about 30 minutes in water, put it back together and it ran the same. I tried to make sure the needle jet[?] next to the main jet was clean and blew out the passage with air too. I have put it on its back lightly a few timesw while wheelying it. the exhaust seems clear[looks wise] but you cant blow thru it towards the motor, yes I put my lips on it! HEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question

Also, just remembered, the battery keeps going dead. Only 1 yr old but I bought a cheap piece of crap from the dealer. I wouldnt think that would affect the way its running. THe quad is totally stock.Thanx

Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd heat the pipe up and blow compressed air thru it. Sounds like a plugged pipe.
Carefull, it'll throw flames.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, how do I heat it up, with a torch?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I just pulled the pipe off enough to pull it away from the cylinder. It blows thru easily , both by mouth and then compressed air. Didnt heat it up. I think its a carb problem. I'm sure I couldnt blow thru it before because it wasnt on the exhaust stroke.How much is a carb? Or any carb ideas?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Has this been riden alot? Maybe do a compression check before you buy a carb.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, doing a compression check is quick and easy.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I could, but this happened out of the blue. Seems alot like starved for fuel at points. Like on a cars carb, when you hit the gas , the accelerator pump has to add gas when the throttle cracks open to prevent it from going lean and bogging, which is what it's doing with the choke off. I dont know much about bike carbs, but it sounds like the pilot jet is responsible for idling?, Thanx

Old 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably on the right track. The need for the choke indicates fuel starvation. I would pull the carb again and make sure the pilot jet and circuit are not blocked

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

Pilot Jet (Slow Jet) is plugged in the carb.
This is NOT the needle jet, the needle jet is the long tube with the main jet at the end of it, that the needle slides up and down in.
Pull the pilot jet and hold it up to a light, make sure you can see daylight thru it, they get gunked up and restricted, not necessarily plugged completely. The orfaces are SO small that it doesn't take much to make them run lean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lt80 wont idle without choke