Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 won’t turnover

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 won’t turnover

My son has a 94 Lt80 that put a new top end, starter, ignition, battery, plug,solenoid,carb,battery,5A fuse . I checked the coil/cdi assembly it’s getting spark. It’s continuity in the starter wire. When I hit the starter button I just get a click from the solenoid. Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Wow, third time in about a week I have written this:-

Have you pressed the re-set button under the rear wheelarch. Early LT80s didn't have it, but it is there to blow, like a house trip, if the starter gets overloaded. Why did it trip? Can be just one of those things, or the engine locked due to you leaving it on PRIME and fuel filling the sump & cylinder. If it isn't the overload button, I go for the test lamp method. 12v lamp connected between good earth on engine and starter live post. Press start button, solenoid clicks and lamp doesn't light, faulty solenoid or overload button, or bad earth, if lamp does light, faulty starter. You can narrow it to either solenoid or overload unit by testing with test lamp lead on wire between them.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lt80

I’ve replaced all of the components that you’re referring too. Even if the motor was locked up that wouldn’t stop the starter from trying to engage. Like you said there’s no reset button on this model. So I replaced the fuse and solenoid. You can hear the solenoid click when the start button is engaged. New jug and piston and rings. Battery is new. Plug is new. Carb and petcock new. Ignition is new.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Run a 12volt wire and touch it on the starter wire connection. That'll tell you if the starter will turn.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by timmoe75
I’ve replaced all of the components that you’re referring too. Even if the motor was locked up that wouldn’t stop the starter from trying to engage. Like you said there’s no reset button on this model. So I replaced the fuse and solenoid. You can hear the solenoid click when the start button is engaged. New jug and piston and rings. Battery is new. Plug is new. Carb and petcock new. Ignition is new.
Did you ever figure it out? I am having same issue. Everything is new except for circuit breaker but it has continuity. Solenoid just clicks when hitting start