ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   04 predator 50 electric start problems (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/377777-04-predator-50-electric-start-problems.html)

jm91rs 12-29-2018 07:05 PM

04 predator 50 electric start problems

I just picked up a late Xmas gift for my daughter. An 04 predator 50, starts right up with the kick but had no battery when I bought it. I put a battery in and it doesn’t do much of anything. Fuse coming off the positive terminal was bad and that holder doesn’t seem great so i replaced it with a different weatherproof in-line fuse. Now the low oil light turns on when I turn key on so there’s power. I started tracing power, there’s absolutely nothing at the starter. Tail light doesn’t work, there’s only 3.4 volts there (that doesn’t seem normal, does it?) Battery reads 12.7.

Any idea where to start? All of my tests were done with quad not running, key on, run switch on, pressing and not pressing start button.

jm91rs 12-29-2018 08:36 PM

Just noticed there’s a horn. No power there either. I believe there’s a switch in the brake handle, I am pulling on that while trying this. I’m stumped.

merryman 12-30-2018 04:03 AM

Start at one end of the positive circuit and follow it, as you have a high resistance somewhere. Check at the new fuse, then going into the ignition switch, then coming out of switch, then the next point on the pos circuit. As nothing much works, the fault is going to be round there. Don't neglect the earth either, a bad connection on battery, engine, or frame, will have the same symptoms.

jm91rs 12-31-2018 01:16 PM

Had a few minutes to look more. I believe I may have more than one problem here. I will continue to update this thread to ask for more advice, but also to help anyone else that may have this problem. (I found very similar topics on here from years ago, but they were never fully solved).

I decided to remove the starting relay and jump the red wires headed to that relay. It turned over so I believe the voltage to the starter is OK. To my basic understanding, this would mean bad relay or the wiring headed to the relay has an issue. I traced the other 2 wires headed into that relay and found that one appears to head to the brake safety switch (at least by color-green/yellow striped). I took that safety switch out of the brake and it was nasty so I cleaned it up. I assume that when that switch is pressed it completes a circuit, but on mine there was no continuity. I jumped the 2 wires headed into that switch and this time when I pressed the starter button, it cranked over. So my brake sensor switch is faulty and I believe it will solve my start up problem.

Still no explanation for 3 volts at the tail light and horn not working, but after I get the new air filter box on there I'll fire it up completely and start tracing power again.