Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 takes a long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 takes a long time to start

Hi guys. Great website. I've done a bunch of work thanks to you all and really appreciate it.
I recently bought a nice looking LT80 from a friend. At first it would start right up when cold or warm by using the choke, then immediately turn off the choke it would run fine. No issues, except that you always needed the choke to start it. It had a new ebay carb on it at this point.
After a week or so it began to be pretty difficult to start, usually requiring about 10 seconds on the starter to get it running. Then it got to the point that it would only start if I hooked up a battery charger and had it turning really fast. Without the charger it seemed to turn over just fine.
So I bought a new OEM Suzuki (Mikuni) carb. Installed it and it was exactly the same thing. Takes a good 15 seconds or so to get running, but once it's running it idles great and seems to have decent power. If you shut it off it won't start without a really long crank and only seems to start with the choke on.
I checked the compression but my gauge is messed up so I'll check it again with a known good gauge tomorrow. My friend said he tested it at 108 psi a couple months back.
Sprayed around while running to look for air leaks and couldn't find any.
Ran it without the air filter hooked up with no change.
OEM petcock was replaced with a standard on/off/res type... blocked off the rear vac line on the carb, fuel filter is between valve.
Tried a new spark plug and it seems to have good spark when out of the cylinder.

I'm guessing it's going to be time for a rebuild but hoping I'm missing something here.

Thanks in advance.
-Mag

Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Compression is getting to the point of troubles. Usually once they reach the 100 mark you start to have starting issues

Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree, check the compression. 90 minimum.
When running, does the exhaust seem to be flowing well (plugged pipe)? Remove that bolt in the bottom of the pipe.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
I agree, check the compression. 90 minimum.
When running, does the exhaust seem to be flowing well (plugged pipe)? Remove that bolt in the bottom of the pipe.
Thanks for the fast replies guys.
Yes, the exhaust seems to be flowing fine. I’ll check the compression with a good gauge tonight and report back.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Compression was 70. Going to try a chinese top end kit for $45... if that doesn't work out for long I'll put in a good kit.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got it apart and the gasket between the jug and case had a big chunk out of it. Piston and cylinder both looked great so I just put new gaskets on and it fired right up. Been great ever since.

Thanks ATVconnection.

-Mag

Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you got it going.