ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   1987 Suzuki LT80 speed problem (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/378238-1987-suzuki-lt80-speed-problem.html)

ArrizX 03-18-2019 04:05 AM

Makes sense and I see what you are saying. Actually after further inspection it appears that what happened is the movable drive face rotated about 10 degrees and sheared off the corner upon further inspection. I only noticed this after cleaning off the rust and taking a good look at the plate. Its too late to order a new one because I already made an order and I dont want to pay 10 dollars shipping on such a tiny part that is only 3 dollars to begin with.

I think it still has plenty of length to it and just needs reset and turned 180 degrees. Ill pull the starter gear and file the key smooth and get it turned around. It is missing .005 of an inch so not a ton but it is enough to not let it engage the movable drive face anymore. Just needs the fresh corner on the outside.

250rBanshee 03-19-2019 12:32 AM

I apologize I didnt mean to be rude just have been trying to find lt80 for a while I was not aware he was still active in forrums. Because I had planned to get my kids an 80
I have made a new post.
to continue with the thread do you carry lighter rollers for the primary 2 of mine are flat in one spot.
and a better spring for the secondary?
I'd like to give you bussines for all your 80 help vs finding them cheaper on ebay or else where.

again I apologize for hi jacking the thread.

250rBanshee 03-19-2019 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ArrizX (Post 3415285)
Makes sense and I see what you are saying. Actually after further inspection it appears that what happened is the movable drive face rotated about 10 degrees and sheared off the corner upon further inspection. I only noticed this after cleaning off the rust and taking a good look at the plate. Its too late to order a new one because I already made an order and I dont want to pay 10 dollars shipping on such a tiny part that is only 3 dollars to begin with.

I think it still has plenty of length to it and just needs reset and turned 180 degrees. Ill pull the starter gear and file the key smooth and get it turned around. It is missing .005 of an inch so not a ton but it is enough to not let it engage the movable drive face anymore. Just needs the fresh corner on the outside.

I use rocky mountain atv for oem parts they're great with having stuff I got the keys as well and they have heelguards in stock for 22 which idk if yours are good or not but I just added to 75 and for free shipping.
idk if you wanna take that route or not.
if not I ordered 4 keys I can ship you 1 on saturday when I get home. I order parts for my quads often and can replace them as extra anytime I make an order.

ArrizX 03-21-2019 12:03 AM

I mean that would be great if you don't mind but if it's an inconvenience you don't need to worry about it. I can get one I just need to do the same as you and order enough to make it worth it.

Right now I don't have enough to buy to make it worth it though lol.

Side note I'm having a hard time getting the starter gear off since it's a little smashed into the key as well and also just slightly indexed off it. What does everyone else use to remove it? Slide hammer or puller? I don't have a jaw puller that seems to fit in the holes so I'm not sure what to do yet. It's buried too deep to pry it out.

DirtDevil101 03-21-2019 09:32 AM

Maybe it's seized to the crankshaft...I'd heat the gear near the shaft and lightly tap with a dead-blow hammer...maybe also soak with penetrating oil...

I had no issues getting them out on the 2 machines I worked on...

LT80 03-21-2019 11:34 AM

They can be tough. You'll get it with enough swearing and a big enough hammer..LOL. :D :D
If you bend it (which I haven't seen in a loooong time) I have others here.

ArrizX 03-21-2019 12:04 PM

Well I was a little afraid to put heat to anything so close to a seal. I can try and do that though. I was thinking welding a piece of tube over the shaft and on the gear with a tab on the end to hit off.

Guess we will see how much I can ruin to get this thing off. LT80 I sent you a pm regarding the rear clutch if you haven't seen it yet just FYI.

Thanks to everyone again for all the help

ArrizX 03-24-2019 02:11 AM

Got the starter gear off and key out. Never seen a key torqued like this before. I thought I could turn it around and reuse it but not with the twist in it so I am going to get a new one coming. Too bad because I got all my new parts to rebuild the front clutch too.

LT 80 can you check your private messages please.

untraceable 03-26-2019 06:39 AM

If your daughter isn’t old enough to ride it yet, 18mph is probably pretty damn fast. Most likely go much faster with a 40lb kid on it.

had a similar experience with an KFX50. Thought it was a dog, removed all the restrictors, shaved the head, got it cooking thinking I could slow it down with the throttle limiter. Nope. With a 40lb kid, the bare min throttle required to increase the rpm from idle will accelerate it up to a far to high speed for me to run behind. I have a 20’ tow rope hooked to the bumper that I hold him back with. Amazing how fast you can run while being pulled

ArrizX 03-26-2019 07:13 AM

Yeah well I mean technically I did buy it for her. But I've always had a little rig and I'll use it till she can. My buddy has a flat track we race minis on. This is making me want to convert from pit bikes to mini quads.