ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Kids Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/)
-   -   Suzuki LT80 using too much oil??? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/kids-quads/378852-suzuki-lt80-using-too-much-oil.html)

Daniel Witcomb 06-23-2019 05:25 PM

Suzuki LT80 using too much oil???

Hi, I have 2 second hand LT80s for my twin boys which I bought around 5 weeks ago and when I picked the one up the man said to me that they use hardly any 2 stroke oil. Is this true? But the other quad has used nearly 3/4 of a tank of oil already. Anybody know why this is and what can I do to to fix it?? Thanks

merryman 06-24-2019 01:38 AM

The ratio should work out at about 32 to 1, so when you have gone through four gallons of fuel you should have burnt a pint of oil. Jack knows far more than me about LT80s though, maybe he can add something.

Daniel Witcomb 06-24-2019 03:41 AM

Thanks merryman. I’ve filled the bike up twice I think it is so not sure how much they hold but I don’t think I’ve put 15litres in which is 4 gallon. I would think it’s using too much oil.

Daniel Witcomb 06-24-2019 03:44 AM

Also the one is taking a good minute to start with also revving on the accelerator and choke but the other starts straight away with choke. Does the carburettor need cleaning? Thanks

merryman 06-25-2019 03:17 AM

I would be checking compression on the one that is bad to start. Take a look at the plug too, over oiling can foul a plug. Carbs are a pain in the butt to get off on the LT80.

Daniel Witcomb 06-25-2019 03:52 AM

How do you check compression and do you mean the spark plug? I’ve had the carb off on the other one before, wasn’t too bad, just followed a YouTube video.

LT80 06-25-2019 07:48 AM

Well I've never heard of a oiler over oiling. But it surely isn't correct. I always recommend doing away with the auto oiler and running pre-mix.
All carbs need cleaning. I don't know what's hard about taking them off. The secret:: Use a snap-on 8mm wrench..lol. It fits. I should do a you tube video prolly. :)
Many problems with ethanol these days making the carb needles sticky. Your one machine may be experiencing that.

Daniel Witcomb 06-25-2019 09:20 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. How do I do away with the oiler and just use pre mix? Is it easy to explain? I’ll give the carb a clean I think. Both the bikes smoke a lot aswell. Is that normal? Thanks

merryman 06-26-2019 02:33 AM

"How do you check compression and do you mean the spark plug." Yes the spark plug, and you screw the compression tester in the spark plug hole, but if you haven't got a tester, and find it easy, by all means clean the carb out, bad starting can be due to the carb. Personally, I think LT80 carbs are the second most awkward to remove/refit I have come across. (Quadzilla 250 twin takes the prize for most awkward). By contrast, LT50 carbs are the easiest.

Daniel Witcomb 06-26-2019 07:13 PM

I’ll give the carb a clean. Cheers. I’ve had a problem with the other bike yesterday. It had a new starter motor and carb cleaned about 3 weeks ago and we were out on it yesterday and stopped in one of the fields and went to restart and nothing only a noise when pushing the start button which I can best describe as like a garden leaf blower. Went to pick it up today and it started once then didn’t start next time and the noise was similar to a blender whizzing away. There is a click noise when I listen closely by the battery. It’s been making like a grinding/clicky noise now and again when trying to start for the past few days but started every time. Could it be the spark plug? I’ve checked the reset trip button and that’s in. There is a problem with the safety lever on the foot brake, it doesn’t stay up when starting so I have to hold the little silver button in when starting, not sure it a spring or bolt snapped on that??? Any ideas please. Thanks.