Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kawasaki KFX50 / Kymco 50cc CDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki KFX50 / Kymco 50cc CDI

Hey guys I’ve tried buying two different Cdi’s and both didn’t work on my kids quad go eliminate the rev limiter. It seems as though both are AC, when a DC is needed.
Can someone please point me in the right direction for the correct CDI box, which is DC? Even on EBay when it says DC, the box still doesn’t work.

Thanks

Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I just stuck Kawasaki KFX50 CDI into eBay and got a couple of DC CDIs in the UK, and this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performan...YAAOSwpTBcCKdF in the US. There also seems to be a lot of AC CDIs being sold for them, just shows how much vendors know about the stuff they are selling. 6 pin is a bit unusual for DC, as they should only need 4 or 5. Positive, Negative, one or two wires to trigger and one to coil. If the new CDI came with a pin-out drawing check the wires from your wiring plugs match it.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

usually you can figure out what CDI you have by looking at the connector. Ask the seller for a better pic if it does not dhow the connector

How to tell my style of CDI? (AC or DC)

Your CDI has two plugs, a 4-pin and a 2-pin. The 4-pin side may have 3 or 4 wires connected to it (both AC and DC versions). If the 2-pin connector has only 1 wire going to it, it's a DC CDI. If there are 2 wires attached to the 2-pin connector, then it's an AC CDI.

Note: A very few DC-powered CDI systems will have two wires on the two-pin connector. For these systems, please check to see if your headlights will work while the engine is not running, and if your stock CDI has "DC" printed anywhere on it. In these cases, you need a DC CDI.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 07-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is what I have. The 3 pics of the larger box is what I have, the small orange is the 2nd I purchased that’s billed as DC. I switched the wires around as the seller told me to do (my friend did it, I’m not best mechanic), and still did not work.

I sent a message to the gentleman who is selling on EBay, eagerly waiting for a response.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I’ve tried posting pics a few time, but mine currently is much larger than the 2 I bought.
They are the same 4 pin plug and 2 pin plug

I messaged on EBay the fellow who is selling on eBay, hoping to hear back soon

Old 07-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
usually you can figure out what CDI you have by looking at the connector. Ask the seller for a better pic if it does not dhow the connector

How to tell my style of CDI? (AC or DC)

Your CDI has two plugs, a 4-pin and a 2-pin. The 4-pin side may have 3 or 4 wires connected to it (both AC and DC versions). If the 2-pin connector has only 1 wire going to it, it's a DC CDI. If there are 2 wires attached to the 2-pin connector, then it's an AC CDI.

Note: A very few DC-powered CDI systems will have two wires on the two-pin connector. For these systems, please check to see if your headlights will work while the engine is not running, and if your stock CDI has "DC" printed anywhere on it. In these cases, you need a DC CDI.
my 4 pin does have 3 wires. And the 2 pin only 1 wire.
Unfortunatly my sons 50 doesn’t have a headlights, but I am 96% sure it’s a DC box. Issue has been the DC boxes I’ve purchased are not working, even after rearranging the wires.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I just stuck Kawasaki KFX50 CDI into eBay and got a couple of DC CDIs in the UK, and this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performan...YAAOSwpTBcCKdF in the US. There also seems to be a lot of AC CDIs being sold for them, just shows how much vendors know about the stuff they are selling. 6 pin is a bit unusual for DC, as they should only need 4 or 5. Positive, Negative, one or two wires to trigger and one to coil. If the new CDI came with a pin-out drawing check the wires from your wiring plugs match it.
I sent you a message on EBay. I will gladly buy yours if it’s direct replacemg for my stock CDI with rev limiter.
Your right, both CDI’s I have bought I was told were DC, but did not work. The one seller told me to rearrange the wires as he showed, we did that, and still did not work.
My bike is a standard 2016 Kawasaki KFX50, which I’m told is nearly identical as Kymco 50.
Anticipating your response

Old 07-08-2019, 02:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

"I just stuck Kawasaki KFX50 CDI into eBay and got a couple of DC CDIs"

Not my CDI just one I saw on eBay. Yours is a DC CDI set up. All AC ones need more than four wires. I can see no reason why they confuse things by putting 6 pins on the DC ones, though Honda add extra wires to theirs for increasing the spark power in neutral etc. Anyway, nothing is certain, but I would guess the green wire will be an earth, blue and white is usually from the trigger coil, black/yellow from CDI to coil. This leaves black which is presumably positive from ignition switch. So, check you have 12v between black and green wires with ignition on, Spin engine on starter and check you have a low voltage AC pulse between blue/white and earth. With CDI connected up, check you are getting a 12v pulse between the wires going to the coil when engine is spun on starter. Like I wrote earlier, if the CDI seller included a pin out diagram, check the wires on your plugs match it

Old 08-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn man. Bought that one and still no luck. Can’t believe it’s this hard to find one that works.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki KFX50 / Kymco 50cc CDI