Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris Predator 50 won’t crank/kickstart! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Predator 50 won’t crank/kickstart! Help!

We have a Polaris Predator 50. It’s been cranking and running fine since we bought it used about a year and a half ago.. A few days ago a friend asked to take it to her house for her kids to ride, and I very hesitantly agreed for them to take it for just a day. It was returned the next day and we put it up. I went out to crank it today and it won’t crank. When I kick it off it’s making a sound like something metal inside is lightly scrubbing something and it can’t get a good enough kick off to start. I’m baffled at how a perfectly good running 4wheeler can be ruined in one day!?! 🤦🏻 I was just told today, by her son, when I asked if anything happened to it that it just shut off while he was riding it and they couldn’t get it to crank after that. The mom says it was running fine the morning it was returned and she made him get off so it could cool so they could load it to bring it back.... Not sure what to think... Either way it’s broken somehow. Plenty of gas and oil level is good.... Do any of y’all have any idea what the issue might be and if it’s something I can possibly fix myself? Or is this gonna be major and it need to go into a shop?

Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"I went out to crank it today and it won’t crank"

Sorry, but only you know what you mean by that. Problem is, to "crank" literally means to spin the engine over, so "won't crank" means won't turn over, which is decidedly vauge as it can mean faults as varied as a seized engine, or an electrical fault in the starter circuit. However many people use the term "won’t crank" to mean won't start when turned over, which again is vauge, "won't fire" or "fires but won't run" are more specific.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m sorry! I guess I didn’t make that very clear. I’m posting a video so anyone willing to lend advice can have a visual of what’s happening when I try to crank it.

Originally Posted by merryman
"I went out to crank it today and it won’t crank"

Sorry, but only you know what you mean by that. Problem is, to "crank" literally means to spin the engine over, so "won't crank" means won't turn over, which is decidedly vauge as it can mean faults as varied as a seized engine, or an electrical fault in the starter circuit. However many people use the term "won’t crank" to mean won't start when turned over, which again is vauge, "won't fire" or "fires but won't run" are more specific.