Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Slow cranking / starter on 110cc kids atv.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow cranking / starter on 110cc kids atv.

Hi.
I've been having a read through others posts who have had similar issues in hopes to resolve it.
I have a 110cc that the starter appears slow / hard to crank, unless the plug is out. Then the starter turns normally. Also if plug wire is off it turns over quicker.
There seems to be a few people with the same issue, but having tried most everything suggested that I've seen on those posts, I don't know what I should try next.
I've tried a few things such as:
- new starter
- new battery ? Multiple, tried car as well.
- adjusted valve clearances (compression is above 120psi) .005/.007"
- new oil. I don't believe 15w40 rotella would be too thick for 5 deg C?(changed it as soon as I got the quad because it was dark red and thick)
- has spark. With new and old plug.
- tried connecting to regular battery leads, on both sides of solenoid, and direct to starter. When Connecting it to battery it sparks alot but that's probably common?
If anyone can offer any insight it would be much appreciated. I'm out of ideas.
I'm thinking it's something simple that I'm missing.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 340 Likes on 331 Posts

You have noted that the engine turns over better with plug lead off, this is because the crank slows too much as it comes up to TDC and, as the spark occurs just before TDC it fires the engine backwards. Why does it slow? Because the starter clutch or the gears/chain to the starter clutch are faulty. You have covered the other possibilities such as faulty starter, faulty battery and starter or earth leads being loose.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply

The starter chain seems in really good condition, and turns well without plug. And she now halts on the compression stroke(it seems) everytime now, if plug is in. (Wire on or off.)

I am not familair with how to check the starter clutch. Based on videos seems like the starter spins freely when the starter clutch is gone. Any tips on diagnosing/repairing are appreciated.
I've had the cover plate off to look at stater and flywheel. All seems fine.
Also switched from rotella 15w40 to an ATV 0w40 where its pretty cold. No change at all.
and tried new valve settings. Had them at .005"intake and .007"exhaust. Changed to what i seen someone use online/youtube. (Intake at .05-.09mm and exhaust at .10mm. I set it in middle at .076mm/.003" and exhaust to .102mm/.004"
110cc horizontal.
Not sure if the setting is still not correct.
could the valves be set incorrectly and she doesn't open to release compression? If so, what should they be set to?
Its unlikely 2 starters are not working the exact same way.
I attached a short video. And it's like that no matter how big a battery.

thanks in advance for any ideas anyone can provide. I'm out of ideas..

Attached Files
File Type: avi
110cc atv wont start.avi (1.40 MB, 40 views)
Old 03-11-2022, 02:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 340 Likes on 331 Posts

Tried watching the video and it wouldn't work on my old computer, so tried on my brand new windows 11 laptop, no sound. Oh well, as I wrote before, if all thick leads from battery are connected properly, all that is left is the one way clutch. Stuff put up on U tube may, or may not, be right. Most one way clutches scream when they start to slip but I have had exactly your problem and it was the one way, only slipping just before TDC on compression. When removed the springs were found to be squashed. Valve clearance won't make a blind bit of difference, as long as there is some. Those little 110s have a different starter to the 70cc and 50cc versions so are you sure you got the right one?