KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Fried ECU on Cannibal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't work with the user version and I don't have any .hex files.

My new ECU was loaded with everything but my calibration settings, but when I tried to load them it died.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

Still working on this problem with no resolution so far. Waiting on another ECU to get my quad back up and running, and hoping to eventually get to the bottom of what caused the problem.

Old 08-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Jay is it possible for you to do the setup on the new ecm at your dealer.If it works at dealer then you should get a whole new user setup from optima free.You obviously need to delete all the old files and start over with a new cord\black box and the whole program they can easily afford to do this for you.We to got stuck with the old 1.1 version of dealer cal week later 2.0 comes out and they want $150 for us to upgrade.My boss refused I dont blame him.Scooter at optima seems like a great guy but the company he works for sure is a greedy bunch.

Old 08-14-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is I don't really have a local dealer to work with. The closest dealer is 100 miles away, and they are only open until 6:00 and don't really so service on weekends. I've been mailing stuff back and forth to the factory and R&S.

Apparently version 1.1 is the current customer version, 2.0 is for dealers only. None of the customer versions allow the loading of HEX code.

Old 08-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

If you give R.S. allyour variables and tell them what map you want they could program that all in before you even get the ecm.When you get it just plug it in your quad if it works then the problem has to be Optimum or it possibly could be the wiring ordiagnostic plug to the ecm everything else would be eliminated I will check the manual but I think there is some pin tests for the plug and wiring I will post later today.

Old 08-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

I got the code to unlock the GP software and everything worked great. I did not need to download the .hex file. I just downloaded the new map and set my throttle position and everything was fine. The only problem I am having now is "Stalling". This always happens at idle, during powerslides or jumps when I backoff the throttle it will stall. I turned up the idle and it is fine for say 15 minutes then it starts again. Has anyone else had issues with the throttle screw backing off? I have the new smaller idle screw that sits sideways (front to back). I was thinking maybe I would try locktite. Any thoughts on what else may be causing this? I just got a newer map that is supposed to help with stalling but I'm not convinced that is my problem. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

<< If you give R.S. allyour variables and tell them what map you want they could program that all in before you even get the ecm.When you get it just plug it in your quad if it works then the problem has to be Optimum or it possibly could be the wiring ordiagnostic plug to the ecm everything else would be eliminated I will check the manual but I think there is some pin tests for the plug and wiring I will post later today. >>

This is exactly whats going on right now, should have the new one tomorrow. I'm not going to hook up the software to this one, I'll probably be getting one of my old ones back for testing.

Old 08-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Jay did the new computer work?
Seems like quite a stir was created by this post.I am sure you saw Optimum post.Sparky is up and running sounds like he forgot to get code from Optimum to start his G.P. Control software.Since you have put maps in yours before with no problems I assume yours iscoded already.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

The saga continues.

I got my new ecu today, the quad won't start. Just hooked the ECU up with the bench cable(thanks to Optimum for sending me the cable), the injector offset and flowrate are off considerably from what I had, and it doesn't appear to have a map installed.

of course I could fix all of this, but I'm afraid I'll blow the ECU out again.

Yes I have the authorization codes I need for all three ECU's, that was not a problem.

I saw the post, glad some things where cleared up and sorry if I have caused any confusion around this stuff.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

So when you got the new ecm you put it right in your quad and it wouldnt run?
Then you hooked it up to the bench rig and your GPdiagnostic no map was shown?
I wonder if the relay located by the ECM could be bad?
there is a bulletin on checking this.
Bulletin sb02-008 will help you check other things like ground, voltage etc.All these things need to be right also.
You dont have to apoligize about anything electrical problems can be a real headache for anyone.When Optimum sold a diagnostic kit to the public it should have envisioned problems whether they are software or hardware related most people dont have the time to figure out the problems.Dont give up your expierience will help someone in the future and then when this problem occures again it will be easily fixed.

Quick Reply: Fried ECU on Cannibal