KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

GasGas Quad Update (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GasGas Quad Update (pics)

Ok, Unforunately do to wheather conditions, my 2 cousins didn't come out to ride this week, but a buddy did come out to visit for a little while so I was able to do a couple drag races before he had to leave. We each rode but machines and just from a couple drags we both agreed the cannondale pulled the GasGas in the first three gears but 4th was almost even I'd say the cannondale got a slight edge. once in 5th is when the 2-stroke started to pull the dale and since the GasGas has a 6th gear and the Dale doesn't it pulled away at top speed. We never toped either quad out do to not have a long enough straight away. Both quads had 22" xct's on them. The cannondale's being new and the GasGas's having about 50-60% tread left. As for seat of the pants power. The cannondale seemed to hit harder than the GasGas. The GasGas is a very smooth 2-stroke I couldn't believe how smooth it accelerates and shifts. The clutch and shifter is so much easier and smoother that the Cannondale. It is almost like there is no resistance in the clutch of gear shifter and it is alot easier to find netural.

OK so the cannondale is quicker off the line and the GasGas has the top speed. As we put the machines away I asked my buddy, "so which quad do yo like better"? His answer was which ever one you don't ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I agreed with him that they are both awesome quads and pending on what type of rider and type of racing your doing either quad would be up front and a good choice.

We have had a little bit of ran the past couple of days and my cousins aren't diehard riders so to speak. I'm hoping they will come out this next weekend or my buddy will be out so we can put these 2 machines up against each other for an all day ride. For better comparsions. I just can't wait to get the GasGas on the track. How smooth the power delivery is will be great for woods racing.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,

Have you thought of maybe dropping a tooth in the countershaft sproket (if you can even find the part???)? The GasGas came with 20" rears stock, right? I think that once you get the gearing figured out (for the woods) that you shouldn't have any problem pulling the C'dale. I mean, my God, it is a 300cc two-stroke [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Old 11-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

soulds like a sweet quad what are the hp numbers on that thing you dragged it against something else will it beat a shee?

Old 11-17-2002, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jbomb
A dealer had one at Little Sahara OK. this weekened. He had it out for 2 minutes before someone bought it. This machine looks very very well built. I think it is a steal at that price. It may be to wide for some at 52 inches, but nice for the dunes. I am waiting for the report of how it did against the Cannondale.
I was at Little Sahara on Saturday. The guy that bought the GasGas was parked next to us. I watched the deal go down... The dealer was offering rides, a couple of guys (including the guy that bought it) wanted to ride it in the dunes. But, the Gasgas does not have a mount on the rear grab bar for a flag. So they rode it up and down the road in the park. Then the guy starts talking price, and the next thing I know he's bought it, took it up to Little Sahara tours and rentals, mounted a full set of sand tires and a welded on a tab for the flag!
Later, at the sand drag area area he's racing it. The dealer told me its a 50hp quad. It looked good running against the mild Raptors, 400ex's (440's), Z400's and Ds650's in attendance as the GasGas never lost.

Old 11-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

sounds kewl any it drag against any shee's and for raps what does lightly moded mean piped or what

Old 11-18-2002, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

The Raptor I saw running against it was piped. Several Shee's were out there, I saw none race the GasGas. The new owner of the GasGas was mainly trying to race the 4 strokes.

Old 11-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

I've thought about changing the sprockets. I'll probally go with the same set-up I had on the 91 lt (which was 1 tooth less up front and one less on the back) This gets it back to about stock on the 22" tires. I thing you got to remember is the cannondale is pretty much stock too. It has the stock pipe and blaze map with stock sprockets and 22" tires. So but machines have 22's when they came with 20" and are geared for the 20's. The GasGas is claimed to have 50 hp and the cannondale at 33 hp. As I said before the seat of the pants feel would say the cannondale has more power do to how hard it hit compared to the GasGas.

That's cool that someone else has one and has drag a couple of other quads and won. For the price of the machine and all the goody's it's going to hurt all the other companys. The big problem is limited supply of these quads. My dealer said that not all the dealers are even going to get one of these machines. So if you have a chance to get one you better jump on it or you'll be waiting until sometime next year on them.

The first race of 03 season in the D-11 series is December 22nd. So that's when I'll put it to the test in the race scene. I'll keep everyone posted on test, races, and comparisions between the 2 machines and others if someone what's to challange the new 2-stroke.

Old 11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the huge power gains we've all seen on other two strokes, this gas gas should rip the c-dale and every other four stroke a new one with a pipe/filter/jet setup. id say it would probably be faster than a shee judging from the c-dale comparison. this comes from the fact that a stock shee runs about the same as or sometimes a little slower than my stock rap. and a c-dale usually takes a rap fairly easily. but, as they say, only time will tell

Old 11-19-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

well, I suppose you are also still breaking it in, too, so you won't see anything close to that 50hp until you get above 7000rpm... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

I think the gas gas power is right just like the owner described it smooooth.Look at the background of the company MX isnt a priority.A friend of mine has one of the trials bikes if you ever get a chance to try one do it you will swear it iselectric in a long race like cc or harescrambles I think it should work awesome.

Quick Reply: GasGas Quad Update (pics)