Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default why not street legal?

Sucks that you can't have a street legal quad in South Carolina. =[

Old 01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brothers and Sisters of Missouri... I come bearing GREAT NEWS... I have been in touch with David Day our State Rep and he has told me that he sees no thing in the laws prohibiting ATV use on the Street. He said that it in no way says you can not street leaglize one. We then contacted the State Troop 1 and they read us the right act and said no you can not street leagalize an ATV... So we contacted David Day again and explained what we were told... We thought that it was a dead animal that we would have to take a lengthy process to over come.... BUT... to my suprise David Day Contacted me and said he talked to the Head of the MO. State Troopers and Guess what... He said The only reason is that Insurance Companies will not Insure Them... well we have Progressive insurance and it turns out that ATVs are classified as a MOTORCYCLES... yes and they are completely covered... Progressive said that what you do with a Motorcycle can be done with the same coverage on an ATV... so if its leagel then it is covered. so Wait for further posings from me and I will continue the good fight for ATV riders in Missouri... Hope to see you all on the road soon... Peace Out

Old 01-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,

Today, I contacted the Wylie, TX Police Department regarding street legalizing my Yamaha YZF450 and here is the reply I got from them:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the operation of all terrain vehicles on public roadways. State Law is very clear regarding the operation of All- terrain vehicles on public roadways. Section 663.037 of the Transportation Code prohibits the operation of an all-terrain vehicle (as defined in Sec. 663.001) on a public street, road, or highway except as provided by subsections (b) through (g) of 663.037, which provide certain instances in which an all- terrain vehicle may be driven across a public roadway or operated on a public roadway for a distance (not to exceed 25 miles) in farming communities if it is in connection with farming duties. Section 502.006 of the Transportation Code further states that that a person may not register an all- terrain vehicle, with or without design altercations, for operation on a public roadway, but that the owner shall apply each year for an “off highway registration” to lawfully operate the vehicle on public property (not to be confused with public roadway). Therefore, any other operation of an all- terrain vehicle on a public roadway would be unlawful. Please see the attachment and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

so does that mean texans can ride up to 25 miles on the road? Explain in terms I can understand, lol..

Old 01-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

ONLY if you are performing farming duties in a farming community!!!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Dang, lol

Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Missouri motor vehicle registration system has a very difficult time dealing with "out of the mainstream" vehicles. A guy in Kansas City tried to make his ATV street legal. Unfortunately, he played fast and loose with his definitions when he was complying with the rules--he considered it a motorcycle when it was convenient for him, and a car when he needed to. Our local freebee weekly newspaper, The Pitch, covered the story. You can read about it here:

http://pitch.com/issues/2004-07-08/stline_full.html

I've had a fair bit of experience with MO Motor Vehicle laws, and my understanding that every four-wheel vehicle is considered a car as far as Missouri highway registration is concerned. Therefore, you need to meet all the car regs, similar to a dune buggy. Fortunately, in Missouri you don't need fenders or seat belts or a windshield (although if you do have one, it must be safety glass, and if you don't have one, occupants must wear eye protection.) You WILL need front and rear bumpers that are 4" tall and the full width of the vehicle (from outside of the tire on one side to the outside of the other). I have no idea if a differential is required; I haven't read anything about it specifically, but it might fall in the Highway Patrol's definition of "unsafe equipment."

You'll also have to get your ATV retitled as a "specially constructed" (aka homebuilt) vehicle. The good news is that there are lots of equipment requirements that can be circumvented that way, because the DMV code has lots of "if originally equipped by the manufacturer" stipulations. If it's a homebuilt, you're the manufacturer. However, there are a bizillion hoops to jump through. What all of this involves is a major headache. It took me a year to get my dune buggy legal, and it was built on a VW Beetle pan! You can read about THAT adventure at the link below. It might be helpful, if only in terms of general background info about working the system in Missouri.

http://www.zilliox.org/mini-t/legal.htm

Let me tell you from experience, Missouri is a tough nut to crack.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thank God I live in Wyoming where all I had to do was get a mirror on the front "somewhere" that was it. Then I got insurance and tagged it. That was all I did, now I ride in the street and on the highways and all over town during Cheyenne Frontier Days and all through the summer. I even trailer it in sometimes so that I can ride around town.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well, $165.00 total this year for insurance and tag.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

can a atv be street legal in ny and also wat kind of gas milage does a atv get, lets say a sport quad like a warrior.

steve

Quick Reply: why not street legal?