Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Ragazines and utter disregaurd for ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-1999, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why in the world do they show guys ripping through swamps and tearing round lakes et.? It is totally illegal here in WI. It is hard enough as VP of a local (the only one) club to get anything done as far as trails then you have some idiot tear through some landowners swamps thinking it is cool.

Anyone live anywhere where they allow legal swamp tearing up? Careful I may check out your story.

Rode with Glenn Hansen of ATV sport and they even do similar things right here in WI.

What do you think? County forestry is about to shut the whole county down or find more ways to restrict us.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

More than likely they are doing it on private property, not sure there is anywhere it can be done legally unless your on a private atv riding area.
Unfortunately many people have no regards for public property. In my area we had permission to ride around in the various small woods dotting the countryside. Then some out of towners came in and tore up the trails, not even from around here, so the owners cut off everyone. Thank goodness we can still ride on the rural roads with our orange triangles.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Maine it's not even legal to ride a snorkeled machine, except on your own property. The thing is, unless you are on public trails, you probably won't see a warden. Also, you see Jeeps and Land Rovers with snorkels on the highways, so. Arctic Cat dealer said that he won't sell a Mud Pro , hmm.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Hey I watch the TV show about the Maine warden service, and enjoy it very much. I do recall them giving a guy a ticket for having a snorkel on his atv but he was visiting from another state and was not aware of the rules. I have learned also about Maine from that show.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that's a bit much, giving someone a ticket for simply having a snorkel. I feel the warden should have to catch them blazing their own trail and tearing up private property before a ticket should be issued especially if they're from out of state. I see so many atvs being sold used with snorkels already installed. That's a big red flag for me unless it would be a Mud Pro or Outlander Xmr, which have factory installed snorkels. Its like saying we are going to ticket you for something you might do, instead of punishing you for actually breaking the law.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

They were riding on state land in the TV show that is why the ticket, your supposed to know the rules before you ride..

Old 01-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's like giving a guy in a sports car a ticket just because he has the capability to speed. It doesn't make any sense.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's like giving a guy in a sports car a ticket just because he has the capability to speed. It doesn't make any sense.
Or arresting someone just for carrying a gun or knife. I guess its up to you to make sure you know the rules. Back before the internet, finding out that information wasn't so easy. Now you can google pretty much anything and find out the info you want almost instantly. I most likely would never buy an atv or utv with a snorkel anyway unless it was one of the factory snorkeled machines like the Mud Pro or XMR.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
In Maine it's not even legal to ride a snorkeled machine, except on your own property. The thing is, unless you are on public trails, you probably won't see a warden. Also, you see Jeeps and Land Rovers with snorkels on the highways, so. Arctic Cat dealer said that he won't sell a Mud Pro , hmm.
You are allowed to have a snorkeled machine if it is like that from the factory. Aftermarket exhaust systems and snorkels are forbidden.

I run into the wardens pretty often. At least once a week when I go up to Jackman and every few rides in So. Maine. Very nice folks for the most part.

If a mudhole forms in the middle of a trail it's legal to go through it. Off trail in New England is a no-no in VT, ME, and NH. The people who do it are only going to cause trails to be closed.

Privately owned trails and peoples' properties are pretty much no rules as long as you have permission.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've talked to the guys from Canada. They pretty much don't have any rules on public lands as far as where they go and what they go through. I know if we did what they are doing here in New England you'd get ticketed for sure if you go off trail.

Been through some nasty mudholes that were formed over time on the trails. Those are perfectly legal to go through. Been stuck a few times too.

Quick Reply: Ragazines and utter disregaurd for ATV's