ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Land, Trail and Environmental Issues (https://atvconnection.com/forums/land-trail-environmental-issues/)
-   -   what do police do when seeing you on the road?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/land-trail-environmental-issues/267486-what-do-police-do-when-seeing-you-road.html)

x jacobb25 05-26-2007 11:21 PM

what do police do when seeing you on the road??

i dont know anyone that has got in trouble yet so sorry if to you this is a dope question

pimpsmurf 05-27-2007 12:51 AM

what do police do when seeing you on the rode??

It depends on the laws in your country/state/county/city

I believe in arizona, a quad can be registered as a motorcycle.

In my state, you can't drive on roads, and if you get caught they can arrest you, impound your quad, charge you with various infractions from driving without insurance to various other traffic offences. Don't just trust your local cop though!!! Most cops go to 4-12 weeks of training where they learn 99% of the law that they are ever going to learn. You really need to do the reading yourself. Unfortunately, in my state, there are no ATV laws, but I havn't found an insurance agency that does insurance for Jetmoto Quads =(

The laws here are so murky that I'm not sure what exactly I can and can't do. Any cop will tell you there is no way you can drive one on the road. There is however a website with info on ATV laws. Google search for "ATV LAWS" and you will find it.

-JNY

JohnO 05-28-2007 11:49 AM

They don't bother me. I live in a rural community in KY, where they do allow atv on road operation for ag purposes. I put a chain saw in the mount so it looks like I'm working, and of greater importance - I don't act irresponsibly. Muffler is in good shape, and I have radial tires that don't make a lot of noise. Don't cut across other people's land. I don't give my neighbors any reason to complain, and on occasion, have helped saw up trees that fell across the road.

From what I've heard, most ATV busts here come from someone being annoying to the residents. The police are busy, they have other things to do. If you're responsible, don't tear up someone else's land, and don't draw attention to yourself, they'll usually leave you alone.

x jacobb25 05-28-2007 12:50 PM

that makes sense ,

pimpsmurf 05-28-2007 03:52 PM

JohnO: Very good points. The fact is, that if you use your head and don't act like a pissed off teenager, you might not have a problem. I haven't had any issued, as I also live in a rural area, and people I know in the neighborhood also make short trips across our paved road to get to the dirt road near my house that goes back into the woods. It's not been a problem, however my brother isn't exactly smart, and drove a Kazuma Falcon 110 right in front of the police station on the shoulder of a major 50mph highway. He went to jail and the quad got towed. Genius!

-JNY

Dufrane 05-28-2007 05:10 PM

here in florida atv's are allowed on any unpaved road. except in one county(walton county)the county i live in. they are trying to get that reversed though. until then the cops usually just talk to you to make sure your not.causing trouble. if they geta complaint they will come out and tell you to get it off the road. but using your head keeps that from happening. now if your dui on a atv here they will treat you the same as if you were in a car.

pimpsmurf 05-28-2007 05:56 PM

The DUI thing is the same just about everywhere. The only way you will not get a DUI while on the road is if you are considered a pedestrian (like if you are in a powered wheelchair.) Bicycles/mopeds/etc are NOT considered pedestrians. One guy in Germany actually got stopped while drunk in his wheelchair and going down the middle of a highway. All they could do there was put him in the drunk tank overnight. haha

Don't drink and drive ANYTHING! Life is not a video game. We have basically no laws in SC on ATVs, but I'm really unclear about some of the local laws. They are conflicting and vague. I hope to get to the library soon and read the ATV laws again and see what exactly the rules are. Best I can understand, you can't have an ATV on any road, at any time, legally.

-JNY

Honeyduck96 05-28-2007 06:13 PM

Here in my county, you can't ride on any numbered HWY, but other roads are OK if you are over 16yrs, wearing a helmet, and the ATV is registered and insured. 50km/h limit (30km/h in subdivisions).
If you're tearing up and down the streets like a jackass, and somebody takes offense, you will get hassled.

pimpsmurf 05-28-2007 09:17 PM

Wow, that is a pretty cool setup for the laws. You can't get insurance (as far as I can find) on a jetmoto quad, or I would get it just for theft, etc. I wish we had laws like yours, although I don't expect to get hassled. It would be nice to be able to drive mine 1 mile down my (paved) road to the gas station instead of having to fill up a gas container and haul it around.

-JNY

Steveo10 05-28-2007 09:45 PM

Grab some gears and run. (unless is a auto)