Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Michigan 30.50 ORV Trail Permit & 20.00 Registration Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan 30.50 ORV Trail Permit & 20.00 Registration Sticker

Get READY,
your friends in Lansing, Michigan are getting ready to stuff it up your rear with proposed increases for yearly ORV sticker sales from the current 16.25, all the way up to 30.50 a year starting April 1 of 2011. They want to change the terminology from ORV sticker to TRAIL PERMIT sticker. [ how crafty ]

Additionally, they also want you to go to the Secretary of State every three years, wait in a busy line, and buy a 20.00, three year registration sticker [ this would not include OHV vehicles already registered ] that must be visible from each side of your forward fender on your Dirt Bike , 4 wheeler or other OHV.You WILL be required to carry this registration when operating on the trails.They are double dipping you guys since much of the money collected from this 20.00 registration fee will go to provide law enforcement and safety training, BOTH ,which ALREADY is supplemented thru your current 16.25 ORV sticker fee. [ how stupid do they think we are? ]

I don't know about most of you guys/gals here, but I have been involved in much of the ORV politics for over 10 years now and can tell you with a great deal of certainty, that some of those responsible for handling our ORV dollars has misused and wasted a good portion of your money under the current 16.25 ORV sticker fee.

And now some of Lansing, Michigans best who cant seem to figure out how to write a budget in time, support doubling what it would cost you to operate your ATV/OHV, in Michigan's WORST economic times since the Great Depression .

I asked [ several times ] to be involved in these amended ORV legislative discussions but was given the closed door policy by many of those involved because they knew I would not support much of their amendments.

I asked that when making these new ORV amendments, to please amend the 19 year old ATV law that discriminates against youth under the age of 12 years old from operating a 4 wheeler on Michigan's designated trails, but allows a youth at ANY age to operate a dirt bike [ ORV ] under the same circumstance. They told me that legislation like this would not pass because too many kids mis-use 4 wheelers. I requested DATA that could indicate to me that more kids mis-use 4 wheelers than those on dirt bikes. And just as I already knew,there was NO such DATA, but rather just ONE politicians ''opinion''.. Just as I figured, they left out amended legislation in this new ORV Draft that would now allow youth under the age of 12 to operate an appropriately sized ATV. This 19 year old/out dated law should have been addressed within this new 2010 amended legislation, instead, the Lansing folks basically thumbed their noses at us and left it out.

We cannot let them '' sneak '' this legislation thru Lansing without a FIGHT.

When the Final Draft is out in 1-2 weeks, I'll be back with further information.

Bill

Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Range Rover
Default New fees

Hey Mudy
A lot of the new fee's are going to the Sheriff & Road Commission in the Counties that approved the Ordinance that permits ORV'S on there road shoulders, much needed, this will help us get more Counties open.
Dick

Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by oldboy
Hey Mudy
A lot of the new fee's are going to the Sheriff & Road Commission in the Counties that approved the Ordinance that permits ORV'S on there road shoulders, much needed, this will help us get more Counties open.
Dick
Under the current law, ANY law enforcement agency has the authority to uphold ORV laws while on their regular hourly payroll,if they chose to do so.

The extra money is not needed and is a terrible waste. The Sheriff Departments allready take in 24% from every 16.25 ORV sticker they sell, for ORV Patrol.Now with the proposed added increase to 30.50 for every ORV sticker, these Sheriffs will rake in even MORE money.

And now you guys want to hose the ORV User's of Michigan by seeking a 3 year, 20.00 registration sticker too. You want 15.00 of every 20.00 registration fee to go to these Sheriff departments too.

You greedy people need to be exploited for what you really are.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

How will these costs compare to that of sleds? It seems to me, at least in the UP, that the sleds have exponentially more trail and access to towns, than quads. What do they pay?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by seismic_pirate
How will these costs compare to that of sleds? It seems to me, at least in the UP, that the sleds have exponentially more trail and access to towns, than quads. What do they pay?
I dont know what they sled guys pay but I know they just got it stuck in their butts with higher fee's too.

Nobody would complain about the higher ORV sticker fee;s IF their was ACCOUNTABILITY of our funds.

Nope---just waste,corruption,deceit and higher fee's first.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Range Rover

You could always move to NY where we pay fees and are about to lose the one and only legal riding area in the entire state.