Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Atv/snomobile wars

Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
We have a ATV trail system and its free ,its call every OFSC trail on crown land once the Snowmobile season is closed.
I know guys who ATV from the Sault Ste Marie to Wawa Ont (150 miles) all of it is a OFSC trail and on crown land the whole way.
You can go much further (Maybe James Bay) but at some point it,s just time to turn around and head back. LOL

That does not included Park lands where no motorized recreational vehicle of any type or club trail can cross.

Could be different in other parts of Ontario where private land is more abundant then public crown land. Then you need a ATV club to work out "right of way" permission with land owners I would guess.
Yeah I'm in south western Ontario and it's pretty much all private, there used to be a few trails in the area but then some OFSC clubs came in and basically took over most of the trails. It seems you pretty much have to go north for any decently long trails these days but then you also run into the issue of the clubs all being separate so you kinda have to commit to a club

Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The best you can do in Southern Ontario is find the longest bush road/trail or OFSC trail on Crown land that is nearby.

Is their no large sections of crown land down there?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
The best you can do in Southern Ontario is find the longest bush road/trail or OFSC trail on Crown land that is nearby.

Is their no large sections of crown land down there?
Nah pretty much everything is private these days. We have 3 clubs in my area but it's all private land and their trails are pretty short and unconnected so really you spend more time trailering between trails then actually riding. Each club also has their own pass so if you actually want to ride with all 3 you need to shell out about $125 for each club

I do some some trails in own myself but been in them since I was 12 so they are pretty boring these days

Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Get that thing on a trailer get up to Elliot Lake On. and rent a room and go until your out of gas.
Elliot lake (Between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie) really carters to ATVs big time , they even give you the run of their streets. ATV - Elliot Lake

No trail fees unless you want a group tour , their just after your meals and lodging cash. Which you have to do any time your out of town.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Range Rover

I've heard hailburton is good too and some friends were planning a trip there but they only wanna go for a weekend. If I'm gonna drive 6 hours with a truck that gets 18mpg I wanna be longer then 3 days, hell that's really 2 days just driving and 1 riding

Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

Originally Posted by DogRunner2
You were asked in post #2 if it was year-round or not.
Sorry. By "closed at all times" to ATV's, I meant year-round.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Deeplaker60
I suspect politics of some sort are at the bottom of these otherwise illogical actions.
Sounds like you nailed it.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

These same arguments have been around for as long as ATV's were invented. Back in the day, a person would own both. And ride them in season. The initial argument was over ATV's tearing up the trails. (True). But the second reason is that the Snowmobile owners paid for the trails initially, so they felt they had an ownership stake. ATV's came afterwards and felt entitled to use the same trails during the warm months. The Snowmobilers would come out in the winter and find their trails were all rutted up. (Again true). Not to mention the money issue. There was only so much funding available to maintain and build new trails. They didn't want to share. Then the problem is complicated by user fees, state registration and stickers etc. It became a logistical nightmare. The easy answer was to close the trails. So here is my take. Snowmobile owners and ATV owners and hell throw in dirt bikes too, we all need each other to survive. Learning to share the same litter box is hard, but that is what we have to work with. Can't we all just get along? I think the only way to achieve success is for clubs to take a lead position, and volunteering time to help maintain the trails we do have.