ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Land, Trail and Environmental Issues (https://atvconnection.com/forums/land-trail-environmental-issues/)
-   -   ASA, CORVA and AMA sue BLM (https://atvconnection.com/forums/land-trail-environmental-issues/39600-asa-corva-ama-sue-blm.html)

DSjockey 05-18-2001 08:02 PM

Even though I don't live in California I'm glad to see this, maybe this year I wont have to watch for little orange poles, Please suport the American Sand Association Glamis on line

— PRESS RELEASE —

AMERICAN SAND ASSOCIATION, CALIFORNIA OFF-ROAD VEHICLE ASSOCIATION
AND AMERICAN MOTORCYCLE ASSOCIATION
FILE SUIT AGAINST BLM DEMANDING THAT
IMPERIAL SAND DUNE CLOSURES BE LIFTED
San Diego — On May 17, 2001, the American Sand Association ("ASA"), the California Off-Road Vehicle Association ("CORVA"), and the American Motorcycle Association District 37 ("AMA"), filed suit against the Department of the Interior ("DOI"), Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton, and the Bureau of Land Management ("BLM"), seeking a court order to reopen the Imperial Sand Dunes to off-highway vehicle ("OHV") use.

In November 2000, BLM settled a lawsuit that had been brought against it by the Center for Biological Diversity for alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act. As part of that settlement, BLM agreed to close large areas of the Imperial Sand Dunes to the OHVs — even though the current California Desert Conservation Plan and the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Management Plan designate these areas as "open" for OHV activities.

In their lawsuit, ASA, CORVA, and AMA challenge the dunes closures, alleging that BLM implemented the closures without conducting the environmental review and "public participation" processes required by the National Environmental Policy Act ("NEPA") and the Federal Land Policy and Management Act ("FLPMA"). According to the complaint filed in the United States District Court, Southern District of California, BLM was not authorized to close the dunes without first evaluating the environmental impacts of the closure and without seeking input from public as to whether the closures were (1) necessary to protect threatened and endangered species, and (2) consistent with the "multiple use" mandates of the FLPMA. The suit further alleges that BLM, by implementing the dune closures without conducting the necessary environmental review and public participation processes, illegally stripped the public of its legal right to help shape land use policy in the California Desert.

In their prayer for relief, ASA, CORVA, and AMA have asked the Court for an order lifting the dune closures and removal of all closure signage until such time as BLM complies with the procedural and substantive requirements of NEPA and the FLPMA.

TRXter 05-18-2001 11:13 PM

I love it. Finally we're fighting fire with fire. I hope these eco-nazies and their goverment lackies get litigated to hell and back!!!

PENNZILLA 05-20-2001 10:36 PM

WELL IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!!! MY ONLY ADVICE TO ALL OFF ROADERS IS PACK IT IN AND PACK IT OUT. AND NEVER BE AFRAID TO REPORT SOME HALF WITT MORON WHO ENDANGERS OUR RIGHT TO RIDE. I RIDE CALI IN THE WINTER AND YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD YOU HAVE IT. HERE IN PA WHERE I RIDE MY SUMMERS, WE LOSE MORE LAND EVERY YEAR TO HOUSING PLANS, FARMERS WHO ONCE LET US RIDE THROUGH EITHER SOLD THEIR LAND TO BIG BUISNESS, OR WON'T LET US RIDE THROUGH ANY MORE BECAUSE SOME GROUP OF BONE HEADS THINK IT IS COOL TO TRASH THEIR LAND AND LITTER THE AREA WITH BEER CANS. I HOWEVER AM NOT AFRAID TO GET UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH THESE LOW LIFES. WE ALL HAVE TO STAND OUR GROUND AND PROTECT OUR ENVIROMENT AT THE SAME TIME.